Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Black Rat snakes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Corn, Kings, Rat & Milk snakes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
john_wuk
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:58 pm    Post subject: Black Rat snakes Reply with quote

Just got additions number 4 and 5!

I have a royal, a blood red x amel and a normal amel corn and two black rat snakes.

What I was wanting to ask is at what age do they start to darken, I presume that it is gradual change.

Looking at all the topics and kinda laughing as I seem to be blessed with excellent feeders. All my snakes will eat just before a shed, my python has even had the had the mouse in his mouth when he started shedding once! So funny!

I will get round to posting some pics later. Laughing
JohnC
Key Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The juvenile pattern lingers on a long time and darkening is very slow. There will still be mainly pattern at a year old and loss of it will only be finalised when virtually full grown, if then.
Some localities of the black rat finish up pretty well black with a few white and red scales indicating the original pattern, whereas some localities never become virtually all black, remaining a darker version of a grey rat snake in colour.
Do you know what the parents were like?
linda
Key Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my corn snake shed just after he ate 2 pinkies, but then again he is a pig..lol
JohnC
Key Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wrong thread, Linda
john_wuk
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mother was jet black but never saw the father. Apparently he was a high contrast yellow??? So could get some nice saddling or just some murky black patterning. Either way I dont mind!

Just waiting a few days before I give them their first feed but the breeder I got them off says they are quite enthusiastic feeders so I'll see ust how enthsiastic soon! Razz
JohnC
Key Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So maybe the father was a yellow rat snake, as a black rat has no yellow at all in it.
Intergades between black and yellow are not uncommon, I have had them years ago and they ended up a dark brown with faint stripes and pattern.
Nerys
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is a reason for not feeding whilst your snake is in shed, to do with the metabolism and digestion throughout the shed period.. its recommended not to do it, though i too have snakes that will eat whilst totally in the blue..

will try and track down where i heard the details.. was talking to vet about it..

N
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Corn, Kings, Rat & Milk snakes All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: