Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Extatosoma Tiaratum

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Invertebrates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paulk
Key Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:51 pm    Post subject: Extatosoma Tiaratum Reply with quote

My first stick-insects, enjoy!

I'm really pleased with them. They are both females (I believe).

Wish I were an invert!
H.S.
Key Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice pics. I currently have 14 Macleay nymphs running around (and I mean running!) inside a glass viv. I also have something like 100 (give or take 10 or 20) eggs that have been hatching at about one every three to four days.
Btw, the males are very different to the females, they are more 'twiglet' looking, don't have the 'scorpion' tail, but do have wings. Altough they don't exactly, it is more like falling with style. Smile
Paulk
Key Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard that there are some problems with inbreeding at the moment and it is difficult to raise the young above the nymph phase!

How have you found breeding them and can I ask where you got your stock from, i'm currently looking for other sticks and leaf insects so any other sites you know of would be usefull.

Wish I were an invert!
Boelen
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bottom pic looks like a male Very Happy ...even as nymphs they're pretty easy to tell apart, the males are smooth on the back of the abdomen, the females are spiny like in the first pic
Paulk
Key Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was under the impression that the males could not curl up their tails like the females!

Do you have these Boelen? Or any other inverts like these?

Wish I were an invert!
H.S.
Key Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are my first Nymphs. The place that I purchased the adults no longer has any.
With regards the male /female thing, although I mentioned above that the male does not have the 'scorpion' tail, I believe that is only when the wings have grown and the tail becomes less prominent. As young, I believe they similar in shape.
Those who know, please feel free to correct me, if I am wrong.
Boelen
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I've got a few of these, I've kept them off and on for a good few years...think around 30 years Shocked ....just waiting for around 4-500 eggs too hatch.
The males have a full set of wings that they can use quite well as adults so they cant curl their tails over their wings when adult.
But as nymphs they are very similar to females except for the lack of spines on the body and abdomen, as they grow the males look more and more slender and the wing buds get larger than the females.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Invertebrates All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: