Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pogona Vittikins

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Bearded, Rankins & Frilled Dragons
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What should he do?
Incubate the eggs.
50%
 50%  [ 3 ]
Destroy the eggs.
50%
 50%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 6

jim_radley
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:23 am    Post subject: Pogona Vittikins Reply with quote

I've been looking after a friends Rankin Dragon this week whilst he's on holiday. As a favour and also to give me a chance to get an Idea what they're like before I get a couple of females off a member on this forum mid-December. Anyway, it in with a Blood beardie hatched April-May this year. I only planned to leave the Rankin in there briefly whilst I warmed up another Vivarium although a bulb blew. Anyway that was a slight mistake as they seemed to ignore each other so I left them in last night, until I got a replacement bulb today. On arriving home, I found the 2 of them envolved in pre-marital activities. Until that point, I hadn't checked the Rankin's gender.

If she produces fertile eggs!? Should I recommend to my friend that he incubate the eggs or destroy them? For those of you that don't know, the name of a Hybrid Bearded dragon x Rankins dragon is Pogona Vittikins.

Any ideas and opinions are welcome.
Nelson
Key Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You shouldnt "recommend" anything, you just need to tell him what happened and let him deside what he wants to do.

Nothing may come of this though, my best friends Bannana male has tried on numarous ocations to mate with other smaller males and my German giant female seems to be a lesbian and always dry humping one of my other females. Their not really that clever and seem to try it on with anything subordinate.
jim_radley
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nelson, I have already told him and he wants to know what should be done. He's new to reptiles and asked me what to do as I've kept a wide range of reptiles for years. Although I made a Rookie mistake, it's not as bad as it seems. There are naturally occuring Vittikins, where as there are some Hybrids that aren't right. A mate of mine is a good example of ridiculous hybridizing, Chameleon x Homosapien. He is annoying, he is always pinching my food from up to 10 feet away, and he he has the next best thing to eyes in the back of his head. Laughing Sorry Sam, you know I'm joking.

I am experienced in Beardie keeping, so can positively say that the Rankin is female. I'd be tempted to keep the eggs and incubate them, as it could be a interesting project and I have stated this to my mate. I don't plan to do the same with my Rankins when they arrive.
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be very tempted to incubate them and see how they turn out.

I would however keep ALL the offspring untl they are fully grown, plus if they looked too similar to either beardeds or Rankins, I would not let anyone have them at all (too easy for them to breed back to either animal, leading to a lizard that looks like a bearded but carries rankins genes...not good).

If I couldn't house all the young, I would decide how many I could and only incubate that amount of eggs.

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
Nelson
Key Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a difficult one. Have you got any pictures of the "perents"? It would be interesting to see the babies, but as Scott says:

Quote:
I would not let anyone have them at all (too easy for them to breed back to either animal, leading to a lizard that looks like a bearded but carries rankins genes...not good).

And i for one agree.

It might be better to destroy the eggs.

But at the end of the day its your choice.
jim_radley
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been reading about them, and apparently they have a beardie appearance but only grow to 12" max.
I'm keeping the eggs and will give my mate a little something for his share. I'll possibly give out samples to breeders who'd like to learn more about them.
Nelson
Key Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where did you read that?

For a Vittkins your looking at approx 15" usually falling between Mum and Dad in size Smile
jim_radley
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't remember.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Bearded, Rankins & Frilled Dragons All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: