Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Heat from UV lamps, etc....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Vivarium Design
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xenopus
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 4:14 pm    Post subject: Heat from UV lamps, etc.... Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me how much heat a compact D3 type bulb would give out? Presumably quite localised but is it noticeable?

Also, has anyone ever used the Habistat day-night thermostat/Sun and Moon switch, or similar, and if so, how good were they/how did you use them?

Sorry for all the questions but I am having trouble working out my day/night heating arrangments!

Thanks
grimesy
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok habistat stuff...

if you just want basic heat control id go for sun/moon twin switch and normal habistat equipment.

the twin switch is basicly a timmer, but rather than i timmer mechanism to cut the power its 2 optical sensors that detect light.

if you were to use the night eye (i sent mine bk coz there a nightmare) you would need a day/night dimmer/pulse prop and if you wanted to control lights as well as air then you'd need the dimmer

and then you have the ball ach of having to then buy an entire set up just for day time set up i.e sun switch.

ok heres my suggestion :-

- high spec set up = night eye , sun switch , 2 day/night dimmers, cool control + mini fan (but this is very exspensive)

- mid spec set up (what i've gone for) sun/moon switch, 2 D/N dimmers, cool control + mini fans (exspensive and i'm building a large viv so i need 2 mini fans.)

- low set up :- sun/moon switch, 2 thermastats.

hope it helps, but habistat is exspesive stuff and creating a diernal/nocturnal control sys is exspensive.
Xenopus
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that, very helpful. yeah the habistat stuff is pretty pricey isn't it? I was trying to work out how it would be easiest to control without going mental on cost, etc.
I'll do some adding up and see what I can afford!
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what animal is it for?

The compact D3 lamps give off very little heat, not really good for a basking site.

As for day / night time, I use timer plugs to turn everything off but for you it would depend on what you are keeping and how cold your house is at night.

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
Xenopus
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's for the crestie that will be with me soon (fingers crossed). I'm going ot have to use a basking lamp for the day I think (stated of course) and I was planning on giving some UV too. I'll need a heatmat for some night heating but I don't know whether I'll also need it in the day. I was thinking the problem would be that I'd want the mat at a different temperature in the day to the night but maybe not. I could keep the mat at about 15C/60F all the time and the light could just provide a bit extra for the day. In that way in the summer I could have just the UV on as there probably wouldn't be any need for additional heat. My room's getting down to 14C/57F at night at the mo.
Ah, if only I lived in a warmer house!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Vivarium Design All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: