Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lobster roaches

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Feeder Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Muttley_109
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 4:31 am    Post subject: Lobster roaches Reply with quote

What is the easiest way of catching dinner for your herp?

At the moment im catching them one at a time but they are quick and not easy to grab. Ther has got to be an easier way than this!
Rickeezee
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get an empty tub with a smear of vaseleine round the rim and shake the egg carton with a load of lobsters into it. Then tip out into herp viv, or just hold lobster tub near herp viv open door and lift out egg carton and shake in viv.

What herps are you feeding them to? My bearded dragons love the lobsters and go potty for them as do my chameleons.

Muttley_109
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi rick Im feeding them to my beardie. And ive just been told the gliders like them too.

I have them in a large plastic tub with vaseline around the top. I dont shake the egg crate into the viv as i want to keep the baby roaches and just feed the full size ones. Also I usually put them in a sandwich bag to dust beore they go in the viv.
Goose
Key Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just shake them into the plastic bag, it is then pretty easy to remove the smaller ones again by manipulating them out through the plastic, no touching necessry!

peace, love and captive breeding
Rickeezee
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, I never knew sugar gliders liked them! Top roach the lobster!

Muttley_109
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My gliders will eat anything! I think they like it when something puts up a fight though Laughing
Budsteam
Key Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to be a bit late on the case here, only just found the thread.
Does the vaseline stop the roaches climbing out of the container?

I also have trouble catching the blighters, as soon as I open the lid they scamper up the sides in a desperate bid for freedom! The last thing I want is roaches on the loose.

Our T's love them but the cham ignored the roach first time and since Bud is in a flex I dare not leave it unguarded, be running around the room in no time, so if I try with Bud again only this time but roach in a vaseline rimmed pot will the roach stay in the pot?

BTW I must this is the best value for money live food I swear we have more in the tub now that when they first arrived Surprised
Rickeezee
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Budsteam wrote:
Sorry to be a bit late on the case here, only just found the thread.

I also have trouble catching the blighters, as soon as I open the lid they scamper up the sides in a desperate bid for freedom! The last thing I want is roaches on the loose.

Our T's love them but the cham ignored the roach first time and since Bud is in a flex I dare not leave it unguarded, be running around the room in no time, so if I try with Bud again only this time but roach in a Vaseline rimmed pot will the roach stay in the pot?

BTW I must this is the best value for money live food I swear we have more in the tub now that when they first arrived Surprised

It sure does stop them dead in their tracks! If you look at the pics you can see they only climb up so far then stop they just hate Vaseline Laughing

Yes you can feed them off in a weighted pot with rim smeared with a dab of Vaseline, they dont bite herps so no worries there. For my insect escape proof vivs I just let the roaches run riot the herps love the chase, the roaches rapid movements seem to stimulate the feeding hunting reflex.

Smear the container they live in with the Vaseline, you can catch them much easier then and dont have to worry about them running off! I just grab them when feeding them off have got pretty quick at it now Laughing

Insectsunlimited
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:11 am    Post subject: Glider food Reply with quote

Sugar gliders also love Morios & large stick insects. You`re right, they eat just about anything. Dave.

It may be the early bird that gets the worm but it`s the 2nd mouse that gets the cheese.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Feeder Forum All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: