Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

spiney tailed monitors

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Monitors - big & small!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Varanus_lovers
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 6:02 pm    Post subject: spiney tailed monitors Reply with quote

hi guys

What wattage of bulb would you recommend for a 3ft viv.
Also would a ceramic heater on a pulse stat and a small wattage bulb for light be ok for the viv.

What would you recommend having a single ackie or would a mixed pair be better. I do not plan to breed but if a pair is better then i will buy a pair for the monitors happness.

Neil
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Neil,
I would go for a 60watt spot bulb on a dimming thermostat. Build a basking stack to go under it. A layer of sand substrate and a UV tube 4" off the ground.

Set the thermostat to 88f, placing the probe two thirds from the heat source.

The top level of the basking stack should be 110f plus. Then each level will drop a few degrees. The ackie can then choose exactly what it wants.

If you not planning on breeding, just buy one.

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
varanus
Key Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah what he said !

even if I didnt want to breed from them id still have a couple just because it enables so much more in terms of entertainment watching them interact
stu__r
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
even if I didnt want to breed from them id still have a couple just because it enables so much more in terms of entertainment watching them interact

Couldnt agree more. Akies are so much fun to watch.
Varanus_lovers
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks guys took a we while to get a reply but at least i have some usefull info from it.

I will be setting up my viv in the next few weeks and then hopefullty i can get the money saved/ or miss paying a bill and get one of your ackies scott but will email you when i have the money to see if you have any left.

If not i will reserve one from you when you do get some more hatched.

Neil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Monitors - big & small! All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: