Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

arboral viv

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Lizards - General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
baloo
Key Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 12:36 am    Post subject: arboral viv Reply with quote

i have finally cleared a space in my fish house so i can build a viv. Smile
i'm not sure what to keep yet but from waterdragons to monitors and tegus my preferences are quite widely spread.
if i was to build a arboral viv it would be 52x48x30,lxhxw, and i'd keep water dragons in it
i have a heatplate with 225 watts but i wonder how do you create a temperature gradiant in a arboral viv. from bottom to the top with the top 3rd being the basking site or from left to rite?
reason i'm asking is i don't quite honestly know Embarassed
i'm a big fish man Very Happy

any terrrestial viv would be 75x42x30
due to a beam supporting the aquarium above i can't go any higher the 42" if i go wider then 52 inches

thanx for your help
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like you have the right idea.

If you go for the water dragon viv, place a powersun (or similar) approx 1/3 from the side, and approx in the middle (front to back). This will give a heat gradient and if you provide enough branches they can choose their UV requirement too.

Just check the lower temps aren't too cold.

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
baloo
Key Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think i gonna stick with the heat plate or radiant heat panel. what ever ppl prefer to call it.
i don't need a guard and it sits nearly flush to the ceiling. only problem is it has to go in short side(15 inches) to the front the way you say to put a heatscource. as it is 31 inch long i guess i have to make the viv a little wider. even if i used a powersun i couldn't have it on all day as the room is fairly warm itself. it would be difficult to finetune in respect of the warmer summer weather. so in the end i would still need the heatplate for a permanent background heat in the winter.
i had to turn the heat up 2 days ago as my water temperature went down to 75.
my fish like it warmer then that
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Lizards - General All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: