Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Catapillers as a food????

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Feeder Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peaches
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 6:45 pm    Post subject: Catapillers as a food???? Reply with quote

Are catapillers a good food source? my son found a yummy looking fat green one but I'm wary if there are any that are poisonous to herps, so does anyone know if they're ok and have a list/pics to identify them by?

Thanks
Rickeezee
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some would probablkhy be OK, but as you say some are nasty, so I would be inclined not to.

mark_w
Key Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Rick says, this could be a bit risky; some caterpillars are toxic and even if they are not, they might have eaten or been exposed to something nasty.

I would only feed caterpillars if I was sure about them. For example, if you planted some nasturtiums or cabbages, and then collected 'your own' cabbage white caterpillars, they would be fine, presuming you don't use chemicals in your garden. This is not difficult, becuase the cabbage whites WILL turn up and do the business if you provide the foodplant! I've collected them in this way as feeders. I also use snails, earthworms, weevil grubs etc from the garden. I even ended up collecting fruit flies from my compost bin to feed some baby frogs this summer...

Cheers,
Mark.
Jan O
Key Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

During the summer months I buy a packet of brocolli seeds for about 50p and sow them in large plant pots, almost as soon as they start sprouting up they are infested with cabbage white eggs,I either leave them to grow on the plant or harvest them and hatch them indoors- either way its a cheap reliable source of free food.My garden is organic and I grow a lot of insect attractant plants- especially for moths. All my reps enjoy the harvest!!
love Jan
peaches
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I would never feed a food item if I was unsure - but this fat green one got me thinking lol

I don't use chemicles in my garden...ask the weeds!!! Rolling Eyes Laughing I've been planning what I may plant nest year as rep food, atm I go and pick stuff out my poor ol' mums garden - bless her.

And fruit flies, man I could've had a fruit fly farm this year in the compost heap, it was teeming with them!!

So I shall add cabbage to the list and the nasturtiums

Thanks for the input guys Very Happy
Jan O
Key Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Peaches buy a Buddlia also known as the butterfly bush, I have 2 in the garden and in summer it sure lives up to its name it is covered in them. It encourages masses of butterflies into the garden, for attracting moths at night you want old fashioned honeysuckle- woodbine and night scented stock. You can alos buy a packs of seeds called butterfly mix. To attract woodlice scoop out middle of a raw potato leave in garden and in the morning it will be full of them.For small slugs loved by amphibs you can lay an old face flannel on either grass or concrete make it quite wet and youll have loads under it.I also have a wild patch in my garden full of nettles and other weeds this attracts all kinds of bugs i put a bucket at the base of them and bash the hell out of the leaves- all the goodies fall in the bucket!
love Jan PS I love summer- so much free food!
peaches
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Jan that is some really great tips there.

I get loads of grasshopers, haven't quite mustered an easy way of catching the little blighters yet though, usually one at a time in my hands Laughing Kids enjoy chasing them too.

At least digging they worms for axies atm is alot easier eh?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Feeder Forum All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: