Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

help! glider got rather round...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Other Pets / Exotics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leilei
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:13 am    Post subject: help! glider got rather round... Reply with quote

im a bit worried as i noticed yesterday that one of my sugar gliders has developed a bulgy tummy. now, as far as we are aware, both our little friends are female, and there is no sign of scent glands to indicate otherwise on her companion..

is it possible that the other one is simply not completely mature and therefore not showing the glands.. and that she is actually pregnant? or otherwise, is she just a little overfed or could there be something wrong with her? Sad she is behaving normally, has a great appetite and is bouncing around happily. she is pooing normally too, which i was looking out for as a sign of abdominal obstruction.

we are going to take her to the vets to have it checked out in any case. but would really welcome any imput from anyone who might be able to help! Mr. Green

thx! Lei
glidergirl
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How old is the female? How long have you had her? Was she with a male before you had her?

It's really hard to say without actually seeing her, but I have females that have never bred because they've always been with other females and the pouches do sag, they look like glider boobs!

Can you weigh her, as a female she shouldn't be over 120g really, 150g absolute maximum!
Leilei
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure of her exact age, i believe she was a few months old when we got her and we've had her about 6 months, so I'd estimate her to be about 9 months. she was with a male (her brother) before we got her but that was a long time ago now!

would her pouch be sagging already? i weighed her at around 110g, although this is approximate as my kitchen scales aren't terribly accurate and she was bouncing around a lot lol Laughing . i will try again when my other half gets home hehehe

the bulges are at the bottom of her abdomen, seemingly either side of her pouch area. they seem pretty much evenly sized and positioned. maybe its just her natural shape but they weren't there before, and chili her friend doesn't have them!
loulou
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are these bulges firm to touch and they are low you say? is the other one definitely a female? tease the other one with a treat and make her (him?) climb the bars to get it so you can get a good look at the belly, with a female you will see a slit for the pouch with a male you will see his testicles which alot of people say look like small pompoms you cant miss them and they will be in the centre of his belly

good luck one other note we have twins from one of our females alot and once they have developed a bit int he pouch they feel and look like 2 small lumps on either side of the lower abdomen so you could possibly be seeing twins there. Another thing is she grooming her pouch alot and "singing" at night time? this could be another sign but if shes very vocal anyway its not really much help sorry
glidergirl
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming they are both females you have, my guess would be a saggy pouch, 110g for a female less than 1 year old is quite heavy. Aww, if you can't spoil your suggies what can you spoil? Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Other Pets / Exotics All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: