Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone pick this up outside of local press

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Other Pets / Exotics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WelshBoa
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:22 am    Post subject: Anyone pick this up outside of local press Reply with quote

http://www.thisissouthwales.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=161389&command=displayContent&sourceNode=161372&contentPK=15777219&moduleName=InternalSearch&formname=sidebarsearch Monkey
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MAN CLEARED OF MONKEY CHARGE

TERRY CROCKFORD
TERRY.CROCKFORD@SWWP.CO.UK

10:00 - 26 October 2006

A Swansea man who separated a mother and baby Capuchin monkey with the intention of selling the infant has been cleared of causing unnecessary suffering.Jason Allen, of West Cross Lane, West Cross, was acquitted late yesterday by district judge Richard Williams sitting at Swansea Magistrates Court.

Mr Allen has criticised the RSPCA sting that put him on trial.

He attacked the ''deceitful'' and ''deliberate entrapment'' tactics used by the animal charity.
During the course of the three-day trial district judge Richard Williams had been told how Mr Allen was arrested at Leigh Delamere M4 services last summer.

He had advertised the baby for sale and he unwittingly agreed a deal with an undercover RSPCA inspector posing as a buyer.

When 33-year-old Mr Allen arrived at the rendezvous he was arrested and the baby capuchin, which he had proposed selling for £3,200, was seized.

The prosecution alleged that in separating the baby from its mother at such a young age he had caused mental anguish to both.

Mr Allen, who kept the Capuchins, at his parent's home in Higher Lane, told the court the infant was born in January 2005 to eight-year-old parents which he had owned for 18 months.

At the time of his arrest, the baby was about four-and-a-half months old.

He said he held a Dangerous Wild animals licence and kept the animals in enclosures at his parents' home.

Mr Allen told the court he had decided on selling the infant which was showing signs of being rejected by its parents.

He felt an early separation was preferable as the infant would get over it more quickly and would bond more readily with its carer.

In giving his judgement the judge said it was lawful to sell monkeys and in that case it must be lawful to separate them from their parents.

He said pets such as dogs and cats were routinely separated from their parents for the purpose of sale by those engaged in the pet industry.

Selling a pet and depriving it of its parents was not an offence, he said.

After the hearing Mr Allen said: "In my opinion I have cared to the best of my abilities for all my primates.

"To produce a tame monkey, as was instigated by RSPCA inspector Shipp looking for a pet, requires hand rearing from an early age.

"And separation from its mother is best done sooner rather than later so that the monkey can form a strong bond with its new human carer.

"The RSPCA have acted in an underhand and deceitful way and deliberately forced this situation by entrapment.

"I was not warned by the RSPCA that I was doing anything wrong as I have found monkeys have been hand reared successfully since the 1970s to produce tame pets."

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone pick this up outside of local press Reply with quote

WelshBoa wrote:
http://www.thisissouthwales.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=161389&command=displayContent&sourceNode=161372&contentPK=15777219&moduleName=InternalSearch&formname=sidebarsearch Monkey

sounds about right for the RSPCA Rolling Eyes

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
Stuart
Forum Clown
Forum Clown

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wasn't him advertising the one on your classifieds a while back was it?.. Shocked
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

am i right in thinking these monkeys are the ones that live in big troops 50+ , and hate being on there own ???? just i saw some at my local animal rescue center , wicked little monkeys Very Happy
glidergirl
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah - he's been through hell and high water!!! And it's not finished yet!! BTW - just in case you're all in favour of a certain well known Monkey sanctuary - don't be, they had a hand in this too!!! Mad
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

glidergirl wrote:
Yeah - he's been through hell and high water!!! And it's not finished yet!! BTW - just in case you're all in favour of a certain well known Monkey sanctuary - don't be, they had a hand in this too!!! Mad

Any details on the 'not finished yet' comment? PM me if you like.

thanks

Yep, I'm not a fan of Monkey World, went there for the fisrt time this year and wasn't really impressed. Don't like their attitude that ONLY they are clever enough to keep primates, even saw the owner (American isn't he?) shouting a some little kid Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Other Pets / Exotics All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: