Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My friend's corn snake isn't feeding.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Corn, Kings, Rat & Milk snakes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stuart_b
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:41 am    Post subject: My friend's corn snake isn't feeding. Reply with quote

Hi Guys how you doing?

I am seeking your advice...I have a friend who owns a corn snake and he has had it for about 3 months...and since he has had it..the snake has not fed at all...all I know is it is about 3ft long and was being kept in a 2 foot tank with no substrate and a light bulb for heating. It has now been moved into a 5ft tank (still with no substrate and light as a heat source and still nothing has happened....i want to help keep the snake alive obviously so i was wondering if force feeding it a good idea?

If so...how do I go about doing it?

and also if said method does not work....is it OK for him to feed it live mice as opposed to dead ones? I was worrying about the legal implications on this though as I live in the UK.

If anyone can advise I would appreciate it as I have trawled through some of the parliament archives and haven't found anything up to date and conclusive. Much appreciated.

I am going to help him sort his tank out so it is more comfortable for his snake and maybe this problem will resolve itself but I want to know what to try next to be on the safe side. My Florida king snake whom I have had for the same amount of time is perfectly active and feeds well...his pinkies are gone within a day of them being there so I know he is OK so I figure I'm OK to give my friend advice but any other help is warmly and gratefully received.

Thanks
Stuart
Forum Clown
Forum Clown

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think that the corn is probably a little stressed out being in such a large viv..I would consider moving him to something smaller or if thats not possible make sure he has plenty of hides that he can use to help him feel secure.What are the temps in the tank..day and night?.
Personally I wouldn't offer live if the snake looks in good condition,there are plenty of other methods you can try first.
Key Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the snake have anywhere to hide within the viv? What are the temperature measurements in there?

Actually, any chance you could take a photo of the set-up for us to be able to see what is going on?

Reptile Lover
stuart_b
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that the snake does have at least one hide...but more maybe a good idea. Thanks.

I'm afraid I don't know what the average temperature is Day and Night on a regular basis but my friend has mentioned he has to turn the bulb on and off intermittently because it gets very hot in the tank. I have told him this could be a contributing factor to the snakes unwillingness to feed. He is just using a regular light bulb like you would find in your own space rather than a spot bulb. I don't know what wattage it is either I'm afraid.

As for a photo of the set up I shall see what I can do...and I will also try and get a picture of the snake too.
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like he needs a thermostat to control the heat, the snake could be getting stressed from being too hot then too cold, not to mention the risk of cooking the snake if your friend forgets to turn the bulb off on a hot day (can happen in a very short space of time).

This is what you need

Can be bought on-line from here http://www.eurorep.net/retail/product_info.php?products_id=1399

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
cornfan
Key Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In this hot weather and with an unregulated bulb, I'm not surprised the snake isn't eating to be honest. If this continues for a prolongued period of time then the snake may actually end up with long-term neurological problems as well.

Reptile Lover
peaches
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So first thing to do is sort out that heating, tell your friend he must get a thermostat. Also why don't you print out Tanya's (cornfan) care sheet for him, so he has aways got something on hand to refer to.

http://www.reptilefanclub.co.uk/cornsnake.html
stuart_b
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK guys i will do that and i will also print out these pages.

I just hope he heeds your advice for the good of the corn snake.#

Your help and advice is much appreciated.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Corn, Kings, Rat & Milk snakes All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: