Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Varous

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Feeder Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rickeezee
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:25 pm    Post subject: Varous Reply with quote

I know it's no great achievement but I am dead chuffed as my Mealworm cultures have taken off and I have loads of pupae, tiny mealies and loadsa beetles, so they are all cycling nicely.

Bean weevils are doing well! Easy as anything to culture!

Lobster roaches very prolific!

My wax worms try my patience as they are just so slow.

Springtails coming along nicely ditto European and tropical woodlice.

Crickets horrid and smelly but what can you do!

Locusts not enough to meet demand!

My slug culture failed due to a tad of neglect on my part Embarassed

White worms also annoy me for some reason and I find them fiddly!

Fruit flies various results in terms of culturing them, must resist the temptation to feed them off before they are ready, also difficult to always get the right conditions for them without also getting a few mites!

Thanks to a kind donation my deathead roaches are taking off, and also thanks to another kind donation I hope my adult sun beetles will produce.

All good fun and a challenge! Laughing

Jan O
Key Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad most of its working out Rick, Waxies I breed easily enough, Mealies the same.My FF can be hit or miss at times like you I tend to draw some off before the culture is really established and when starting new cultures I dont think I add enough adults.Locusts bah Humbug! Have given up on these totally. Crickets I wouldnt even attempt as the young ones would be far too small for me to see in all honesty, Roaches fill me with horror!. White worm I just feed and ignore untill I lift up the piece of slate and find it seething with them- then I scoop them up and place them in very shallow water, by adding a sachet of blood worms it turns the whole soup red and the baby amphibs slurp the lot.Confused flour beetle are fiddly to harvest but as the larva are miniscule I only have to do this when I have teeny weeny mouths to feed. The slug population went very well then they all just died for reasons unknown, the Giant snails breed like crazy and as everything I own relish new born snails, its just as well. The stick insects breed like crazy too but take ages to hatch.My latest attempt at DIY food are the giant morio's as I have only just started them off its too soon to comment on them.
One day I am determined to get some of the lime green leaf insects and attempt to breed these as Cham food.The woodlice are producing well, the Springtails I was glad to see the back of and thats about it for my food production line for now.Oh forgot the wormery which is pretty self sufficient and yields good results for me.Good luck with it all.Love Jan
Rickeezee
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jan, I also forgot to mention I have started of my wormery with 3kg of worms Laughing That should do for a while till it kicks off.

cass
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats rick loads of food , who needs tesco Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Feeder Forum All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: