Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

market research exotic pet store ADVICE PLEASE
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mattie
Key Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rickeezee wrote:
Psychotic yes, psychic no! Wink

I was just thinking that rick, amazing talent you got their Laughing

forget the pet shop rick ill get you a job at the fair
hows mystic rick sound Laughing
Dan
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garysumpter wrote:
Probably not the feedback you are hoping for, but WHY choose a reptile shop as a business?

I have never understood why anyone would want to sell stock that you have to provide food, heat, lighting, nutrients and daily care for, it's illogical.

Why not set up a business selling products that can sit on a shelf for a year and still be good?

Reptile shops are also a very niche area, personally i think it's suicide setting up such a business, if you are able to acquire finances, you want the best posible opportunity.

Love to hear your thoughts.

Gary

Look at it this way.

When you sell a tin of beans or a T-shirt (examples) then that's you done. Nothing more will come from that sale. If however you sell say a bearded dragon then the likelyhood is you will also sell the crickets to feed this animal each and every week to the same customer (a VAST amount of the money shops make is on foods).
Not only that but there is no way you could buy that tin of beans back later on and sell it again to a new customer. Especially at a larger cost than your original price as this animal is now grown on or proven etc etc.
This new customer now needs crickets aswell as the first (who is likely to have swapped for something new as they feel more advanced now).

In essence this is one of the few businesses where you can sell a product many times over, making money each and every time.

The future is bright, the future is a net like pattern.................

I'm NOT an expert, so if you don't want to know my opinion don't ask!!
Rickeezee
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattie wrote:
Rickeezee wrote:
Psychotic yes, psychic no! Wink

I was just thinking that rick, amazing talent you got their Laughing

forget the pet shop rick ill get you a job at the fair
hows mystic rick sound Laughing

hmmmmmmmmm I shall have to think about that, have always wanted to run away to join a circus Laughing

Look into my eyes, look into my eyes, now cross my palm with frogs. Shocked I have always believed in balance in life hence striking a happy medium, my court case comes up soon. Rolling Eyes

garysumpter
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan,

With respect............

Sell someone a computer, they will need discs, a printer, a scanner, a digicam, a load of software, consumables..........

You dont need to feed, clean or provide ideal accomodation for a PC!

See my point?

I work as a website designer, however the website is just the start as we offer ongoing support, search engine optimisation, marketing, printing etc etc!

Good luck if this is the plan for any of you wanting to set up shop, but in MY OPINION, it is not a good business idea at all.

All the best!

Gary
Dan
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would anyone want to sell a computer? As soon as stock comes in it is out of date...................................... Wink Razz

Seriously though, it's all gravy. Being different is what makes us special.

The future is bright, the future is a net like pattern.................

I'm NOT an expert, so if you don't want to know my opinion don't ask!!
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sometimes it's not just about what's the BEST business but more what you want and enjoy.

I would say there are a few very good and profitable reptile shops....not many but it is possible, certainly no where near as easy as most other retail businesses though.

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
garysumpter
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that you need to enjoy your job and that comes first, definately, just you need to make a compromise, you still have to make a living!!

Good luck!

Gary
gargoyle
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if you enjoy your job, you're more likely to succeed. If you can't stand your job, then whose going to bother going that extra mile for it? But if it's something you feel passionately about, there's no way you'll sit back and let it go down the Swanee.

If you want to open a reptile shop, then that's what you should do. It may take a while but if you're that passionate it will happen. Good luck to you and all your future enterprises.
crouchy
Key Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A respectable amount of money can be made from reptile shops although most of the profit will come from the equipment that goes with the animal rather than the animal its self.

Also breeding some of your own animals will not only increase profits but you will also know where each and every animal has come from and how it has been treated which is an advantage you and the future keepers will enjoy.

http://www.freewebs.com/crouchys/
CB Rhampholeon Brevicaudatus (Pygmy Chams) Hatching now
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: