Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Death Head Roaches

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Feeder Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rickeezee
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 6:35 pm    Post subject: Death Head Roaches Reply with quote

I have very kindly been given 30 death head roaches mixed sizes. Any tips on housing, what will eat them, how to culture them etc. Thanks.

mark_w
Key Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rick

I would put them in a plastic tub with a clip on lid, I have some that are about 15" x 10" x 8" high. Put a heat mat under 80% of this. Add lots of egg crate wedged in vertically. Feed bran, rolled oats, dry dog food, with fresh fruit and veg every few days. No substrate. Food in shallow containers (I use sunpat peanut butter jar lids).

They seem to do better at higher densities and warmer temps....

Cheers,
Mark.
Rickeezee
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Mark

Do they make good feeder roaches for herps?

mark_w
Key Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick I don't have these; I have Blaptica dubia which are a similar size etc. The large nymphs and adults are great for blue tongue skinks and bearded dragons. My fire skinks really like half grown ones.

I've had less success feeding my geckos with smaller nymphs though; they tend to hide under stuff before my fat tails get them, and the cresties don't seem very keen...My flying geckos take them though.

Cheers,
Mark.
Rickeezee
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark_w wrote:
Rick I don't have these; I have Blaptica dubia which are a similar size etc. The large nymphs and adults are great for blue tongue skinks and bearded dragons. My fire skinks really like half grown ones.

I've had less success feeding my geckos with smaller nymphs though; they tend to hide under stuff before my fat tails get them, and the cresties don't seem very keen...My flying geckos take them though.

Cheers,
Mark.

Mine will mainly be for chameleons, but I will try them out on all I have got, you never know! Very Happy

Siebren
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been a while since I posted here, but as I have some years of experience breeding and feeding roaches I can't help answering in this topic...

I keep both Blaberus craniifer (death head) and Blaptica dubia (Argentine). I must disagree with mark_w, as my death heads are about twice the size of the dubia. In terms of nutritional valuye I think they are the same. (I also keep and feed them the same).

In my collection these roaches are eagerly accepted by Varanus acanthurus, V. gilleni Pogona vitticeps and the Tiliqua's. I know from other keepers they are also appreciated by most spiders, large amphibians and chameleons.

One advice for you Rickeezee, try to refuse the urge to start feeding from your first roaches. They need a lit of time to get started as a breeding group (especially with 'only' 30 something to start with). Leave them alone for the first months or so. (I didn't feed from mine for about half a year in the beginning). After that feed mainly the males and the sub adults.
They are slow breeders but once they get going they make an ideal feeder. (I only need to add some dog food or fruits every few days, and I keep thousands...!)

Cheers from Holland,
Siebren
Rickeezee
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Siebren, thanks for that. I also have a largish starter colony of lobster roaches my plan is to leave that for about 8 -10 months so it can get established.

I have quite a few reps so need to cultivate a large food stock before feeding them off otherwise the roaches will not increase enough to make this viable. In turn this will allow me to cut back on crickets.

The death head roaches were a free gift, which was a surprise and a real bonus. I had not planned on setting up a colony of these, as my lobsters were my first choice. But seeing as they are free I might as well.

Thanks everyone for your help and advice. Very Happy

Siebren
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thought I'd show you how I keep them. Picture is of the dubia set-up (Blaberus is similar). Note that under each carton hundreds of adults are hiding..... Very Happy
Rickeezee
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice! Will take a while for my 30 to reach that number Laughing

mark_w
Key Member

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough Siebren, I thought they were about the same size, but I don't have craniifer. I do have Blaberus giganteus though - I know these are about four times the size of dubia!!!

Cheers,
Mark.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Feeder Forum All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: