Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rudicollis update April 06

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Monitors - big & small!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cornuta
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:47 pm    Post subject: Rudicollis update April 06 Reply with quote

Hi, yeah, not dwarf but they are still small LOL

here are a couple of pics of the male, he has grown from 23cm in october to 51 cm today when i took the shots... getting there, eh?

cheers all
Colin

from this...

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c213/cornuta/rudi2.jpg

to this...

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c213/cornuta/DSC08656.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c213/cornuta/DSC08655.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c213/cornuta/DSC08654.jpg
Cornuta
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... whoops sorry

Jas
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's coming on nice, your obviously doing a good job.
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep, looking very nice. What are they like? shy or confident?

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
Cornuta
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have three of them now, did have 4 but one died within a few days of getting the two new ones.. anyway I think it is a trio of 1.2 the second female is only 35 cm with no aggression showed at all.

I would say that they are confident. But I never handle them apart from cleaning out the tank which is monthly and they go in the huff for a day after that then back to normal.

I have a lot of branches in their viv and they are pretty much at head height and i think that helps, but even so, they do sometimes have a dig in the substrate and root about, contrary to what I have read they always sleep on the ground even though I tried arboreal hides... eventually just removed them.

So, sudden moves make them jump but with fairly slow movements and giving them some warning they will quite happily stay lying sprawled out on their branch for food. They can be hand fed and are not scared of that.

They also get plenty peace and quiet for the majority of the day as they are in a heated shed and away from the house.

As a side note, there is a lot said about feeding them invertebrate food like crickets but i really only use them dusted to give them their vits. They get a fuzzy each day, if they want it at the time, i dont leave them in.

But I have found that they absolutely go crazy for sea food! I buy fresh octopus, squid and raw tiger prawns for my pufferfish and my stingrays. Any they dont eat I offer to the monitors...

I have searched the web and found sites with the nutritional values of octopus for example and it all looks promising, quite a lot of protein... To be on the safe side it is not a common treat but just thought you might find it interesting

http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts-B00001-01c216a.html

The Good
This food is low in Saturated Fat. It is also a good source of Niacin, Vitamin B6, Phosphorus, Potassium and Zinc, and a very good source of Protein, Vitamin B12, Iron, Copper and Selenium.

The Bad
This food is high in Cholesterol and Sodium.

http://www.pccnaturalmarkets.com/health/Food_Guide/Octopus.htm

Nutritional Highlights
Octopus (cooked, moist heat), 3 oz. (84.9g)
Calories: 139
Protein: 25.3g
Carbohydrate: 3.7g
Total Fat: 1.7g
Fiber: 0.0g
*Excellent source of: Iron (8.1mg), Selenium (76mcg), and Vitamin B12 (30.6mcg)
*Good source of: Zinc (2.8mg)

*Foods that are an “excellent source” of a particular nutrient provide 20% or more of the Recommended Daily Value. Foods that are a “good source” of a particular nutrient provide between 10 and 20% of the Recommended Daily Value.

When cooked (moist heat), octopus provides 0.314 grams of omega-3 fatty acids, derived from EPA (0.152g) and DHA (0.162 grams), per 100 grams of octopus.

Health benefits and concerns
Health benefits and concerns for fish and seafood
Many health benefits and concerns associated with this food are applicable to other fish and seafood. Read about health benefits and concerns for fish and seafood for a full description.

cheers
Colin
JStroud
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look like they're growing on nicely, well done mate Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Monitors - big & small! All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: