Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

V. Indicus or Varanus Doreanus

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Monitors - big & small!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
herptom
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:56 am    Post subject: V. Indicus or Varanus Doreanus Reply with quote

Hullo all! Just wanted to ask you monitor buffs a few questions. After keeping boscs and ackies for a year or so now, and numerous other herps for many more years, I'm looking to try a new Sp of monitor, ideally it needs to be able to live in a 6x3x4 Viv(maybe 8x3x4) when adult. Ive been looking at the indicus and doreanus sp, and these seem to cut the mustard, does anyone have any experience with them? I understand they are a fairly agresive monitor, but will i be able to gain its trust enough to feed or change water bowls etc, without being savaged. What kind of set up do they need? I was thinking about 1ft Eco earth or similar, to hold humidity, a large water bowl, then large branches, under a 100w power-sun, with a ceramic for heat at night?
Regards Tom
(oh and before anyone suggests it, i have check google.com and various other resources, but i feel first hand knowledge would be more valuable)
stu__r
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds to me like you have all the right ideas there.

I keep two indicus myself and it appears the size of the species is very variable depending on were they are from within there distribution.

I would always choose indicus over doreanus but its purely taste in that regard really and doreanus tends to be the larger of the two species it seems.

As for temperament......if you are looking for handle able lizards then on the whole varanids aren't the best choice but as for being savaged when you do the water.....i doubt that will happen.

One of my two is quite calm and laid back and the other is more nervous and scatty but neither are what i would call aggressive unless you grab them..

If you need anymore info feel free to pm me.....i adore the indicus group.
herptom
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mind aggression and I'm not to fussed about handling, on the whole i would rather observe an animal in a naturalistic set up, then have a so called "lap dog" pet, but obviously i would prefer it not to actively attack me when i feed etc. I have a pair of leather gauntlets that come to near my elbow (think they are for Birds OP). Where did you get your indicus, i can't seem to find any for sale. I've also considered Varanus rudicollis, as i have read they are generally more placid?
Tom
stu__r
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well personally rudis are one of my least fave species of varanids mainly coz the looks don't appeal to me nearly as much as most varanid species.

Yeh gloves are essential for mangrove complex monitors IMO simply coz the claws are just insanely sharp. WAYYYY sharper than any other varanid claws ive come across or had across my arm lol.

Well mine are true cb but its very very rare to get real cb ones dispite how many people list indicus group for sale as cb Rolling Eyes .

I see them come up for sale in a few stores in the u.k fairly often.

I wont post store names on here but drop me a pm and i will let u know were i last saw them up for sale.
Cornuta
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 4 rudicollis and they have been a lot of fun.

They are reasonably relaxed in most circumstances and not skittish until its time to clean them out. I don't handle them on a day to day basis.

I feed them using tongs and they all come rushing over when they see them.

So far there has been no aggressive behaviour noticed between the group.

The more branches I added the more secure they felt and its really cool to watch them climbing about and pouncing on insects. Their tail is semi-prehensile.

I wouldn't class them as aggressive in the slightest

I have also kept niloticus, exanthematicus and indicus, personally i prefer rudicollis LOL Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Monitors - big & small! All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: