Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

horned frogs vs earth worms

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Amphibians
View previous topic :: View next topic  
poisonjedhead
Key Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:01 pm    Post subject: horned frogs vs earth worms Reply with quote

I'm wanting to feed my horned frogs earth worms, would it be safe to feed them ones ought from a tackle shop, where else can i get clean worms from Question
sam
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They should be fine - earthworms are a great food for horned frogs - they have a balance Ca:P ratio which is good. To be extra sure,why not wash the worms and run them through some clean compost for a while, feeding veg peelings etc. That way you could be sure that they are fairly "safe".

Tackle shops are excellent places for worms, i believe they do them in bulk and cheap!
arthur cooke
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.wormsdirectuk.co.uk/

Try these.

cheers arthur
poisonjedhead
Key Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So i went an got some earth worms from phat Phil's tackle store, One of my frogs showed interest, an ate two of them the other three didn't seem to interested. though they have been off there food over the last while, I'm putting that down to the time of year, they have been in a state of suspended hibernation so to speak and have only been interested in the odd pinky though i wanna try an encourage them to eat more vertebrates as i feel this is a healthier diet,

my point being I left the earth worms in there vivs and they are probably busy tunneling threw the substrate as i type, is this possibly gonna cause any reason to fuss Question
Ajfr0ggy
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
and have only been interested in the odd pinky though i wanna try an encourage them to eat more vertebrates as i feel this is a healthier diet,

Are you sure? If so, why? Most of the time I've seen it recommended to use pinkies only occasionally, not as their main diet. With predominantly insectivorous lizards, a diet of pinkies may cause liver problems. would it be the same for frogs?
MJ
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely the same issues AJ, it grows them on FAST but internally they go to pot.

For all your Tropical plant and Naturalistic Vivarium needs please enjoy Urban Bromeliad
sam
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The worms will be fine in there,they can act as custodeans for you and do something with the big frog poo's!

As for pinkies, only give as a very occasional treat (in my opinion) as they are quite fatty. Id only use pinkies for conditioning animals prior to breeidng - the rest of the time feed a varied diet of large insects and earthworms, supplemented from time to time with a little calcium. Gut load your feeders prior to use and your frog will benefit greatly from a varied diet Wink
poisonjedhead
Key Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pardon Embarassed complete miss use of words on my behalf.
I believe i was meant to state INVERTEBRATES, yes my feeling is to feed them more insects and worms etc.

As all the research I've done and what you guys are saying dose point to long term liver damage and fatty tissues developing in the frog, sorta like cholesterol.

Thanks for the input and the pulling up Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Amphibians All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: