Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

perch supports

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Vivarium Design
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kingcobra
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:38 am    Post subject: perch supports Reply with quote

HELP! can anybody recommend a supplier of perch supports,preferrably in the u.k., i have tried barrs.com, but after sending 3 e-mails without any reply, i am beginning to think they just do not want to know.,not that they are that cheap anyway at $4.00 per pair!,still i would pay their price if they would have the decency to respond and shipping wasnt too expensive! can anybody ponit me in the direction of a good reliable supplier? Sad
Stuart Marquis
Key Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you thought about using "end caps" for plastic pipes? You can buy them pretty cheaply from B&Q. Buy a cap a size or two larger than the pipe and cut part of the end cap away so that you can push the pipe in and out.

You can't really see much in this picture but its the best one I have;

Is this for a wooden viv of for an exo terra. I'm not sure how you'd fix an end cap to glass securely, and if you did I'm not sure how long it would last under high humidity.

I'm going to be gradually switching all of my chondros over to exo's this year and I think I'll either make some kind of free standing "tree" set up in a weighted plant pot rather than attached to the glass. Alternatively I might make some kind of self supporting "ladder" perching system.

cheers

Stuart
kingcobra
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for your suggestion stuart, i have at last had a response from barrs,it seems they were away doing deliveries,and i have now ordered some perch supports.
i will however, look at those "end caps" at B&Q as well,since i might need some for spare set-ups.

as regards using exo-terras you could try just sticking the end-caps to the glass with a strong waterproof adhesive (just make sure toxicity isn't a problem),slippery 42 's response to my query in "exo-terras for chondros" mentions that he found a suitable adhesive for his,so it must be available. i would think that you will have to be very certain where exactly you want the perches though, as changing them around might be problematic, also have you considered using a silicone to anchor the perch holders to the glass? my exo-terras had fibre matting stuck to the sides which lasted o.k. in high humidity,and that was just stuck with silicon. Smile
chondrodan
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i use acrylic shower curtain rings which i cut into half to make a moon shape which holds the perches perfectly. i purchased them from tesco think they were a couple of pounds for about 12 or so cant remember.
hope this helps mate.
kingcobra
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

would they stick o.k. to glass? i am trying to picture it, but not sure how large a surface area it would have for any adhesive to bond. Smile
chondrodan
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heres some pics hope they help Smile

i use geocel aquarium sealant it works great and it looks nice and neat without having big fixings holding the perches in place
Central Scotland Reptiles
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Historically i have always kept my Green Tree Pythons in wooden vivaria, fixing secure supports to the side has never really been an issue. Lately i have been toying with the idea of setting up 2-3 Exo Terras as i think they could prove to be a good alternative to the wooden enclosures.

What i plan on doing is, same idea as my Day Geckos, gluing some cork tiles to 3 sides of the vivaria, i use the 'No More Nails' glue for this. I will then cut a piece of bamboo in half and glue them to the sides, directly onto the tiles, in a 'V' shaped fashion. These 'V' shaped supports provide secure anchor points for horizontal perches. Job done!!
molurus
Key Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barrs.com for me .
kingcobra
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my thanks to everybody who took the time to help. Smile i've now got some supports from barrs.com, very nice people! Smile

incidently fraser, (central scotland reptiles) there are some interesting views on using wooden enclosures on this forum. www.chondroweb.nl
the forum administrator also build his own vivs from PLYWOOD. though you would never guess it from the pics i have seen of them. however the plywood is lacquered with a highly effective waterproof solution beforehand,and joints are sealed with silicone. Smile

also there are some great looking snakes too. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Vivarium Design All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: