Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Temp home for bosc

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Monitors - big & small!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boamaster
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:36 am    Post subject: Temp home for bosc Reply with quote

Hi,
Spent day sorting out viv for new arrival, namely a bosc, about 1½ ft long.
OK, its not perfect I know, its a question of rehoming him soon.
He will have a brand new 6x3x3 viv eventually with all mod.cons.
Any comments or further advice appreciated.
I need a 100w spot yet to get temps up at basking end.
In the picture at the top left hand corner is the holder for the arcadia compact uv 7%. with reflector fitted to roof.
The wire cage on right with ceramic in is ONLY there to get substrate and viv temps. up.
A cat-litter tray will sit on right side will provide water supply.
He can get under the slabs on left and I just need something else half-way down for another hide.
The substrate is moss-peat mixed with playsand ratio 2:1 and is about 3inches deep, not ideal but its a start.

The lamp WILL have a guard on it, making that tomorrow.

Anyway here it is and a small pic of him (only one available)
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tony,

Set up looks nearly there, if you check you can create a basking site (substrate or slab temp) of 100f then that spot light will be fine. I personally wouldn't guard the spot light, so long as it is over 6" from the basking lizard it will be fine.

The only area you might have a problem is with the substrate, the moss peat wil get VERY dry and dusty unless you keep spraying it but by spraying you will have the humidity too high. If you wanted a natural looking substrate, trying using dry bark chips or even calcium sand (calcium carbonate sand works great with all my monitors).

Good luck & have fun with him.

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
baloo
Key Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can get bark chippings cheap from focus, B&Q and those places.
just make sure it says no chemicals added this is a natural product and you get 100ltrs of substrsate for a fiver.
i use that and my tegu lives in that substrate more then i walks on top of it Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Monitors - big & small! All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: