Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

POISON ARROW DART FROGS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Amphibians
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sam316
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:19 pm    Post subject: POISON ARROW DART FROGS Reply with quote

I was just wondering if anyone knows if different dart frogs could be housed together in a comunity. eg can strawberry (Dendrobates pumilio), green and black (Dendrobates auratus), and blue (Dendrobates azureus) all be housed together if in a big enough set up??
thanks, sam.

Can't wait until March!! Smile
mcfluffin
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sam....

The answer is they can in theory...but you could certainly stress the animals this way. Darts are pretty territorial really, and their requirements can be different. I do know people who have done it successfully, but most of them have years of experience.

Have you kept Dendrobates sp. before? If not, I might suggest you keep some as single species groups first to get a good idea. You can always come round and see my darts too mate Wink
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dendrobates pumilio are VERY territorial and will bully the hell out of auratus and tinctorius frogs (including azureus).

The auratus and azureus will also breed and create hybrids unless you go for an all male population. Hybrids in the dart frog hobby are frowned upon these frogs are under threat from a whole host of things such as Chytrid and habitat loss and to loose species to hybrids (which can some times be VERY hard to distinguish) would be a great loss.

It might be possible to house certain stuff together in very large vivaria but not something I would recommend for a beginner just starting out with dart frogs.

For all your Tropical plant and Naturalistic Vivarium needs please enjoy Urban Bromeliad
sam316
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you kept Dendrobates sp. before? If not, I might suggest you keep some as single species groups first to get a good idea. You can always come round and see my darts too mate Wink[/quote]

hey mate, cheers for the advice, single species sounds good then. I have never kept dendrobates of any kind. I'm not planning to at the mo either, was merely curiosity, especially as i'm off to kenya it would be pointless getting anything now. would love to come round and see yours some time tho!!!!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Hey MJ thanks for the advice also. Certainly won't be attempting any mixing or even getting any at all as mentioned above, didn't realise the impotance involved with the hybrid situation though, is v.interesting. You say it may be possible if in a large vivaria and with experience, can i ask if you have ever attempted mixing ??
thanks for all the info. Very Happy Very Happy

MJ
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never tried because my preference is single species vivaria...

If Joe is referring to whom I think he is then I'm afraid you got some of it wrong they weren't "long term hobbyist" in fact they has been keeping darts all of two years at most.. did it work? who knows it only went on for 2 maybe 3 months before being sold off with all the other frogs and such due to bruning out and getting bored of frogs.

For all your Tropical plant and Naturalistic Vivarium needs please enjoy Urban Bromeliad
mcfluffin
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing nope...wrong person Wink nice try Paul...
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice try? Laughing it really isn't worth trying to mix pumilio with anything tbh unless you have a GIANT viv even then whats the point Laughing I won't mention my usual fish tank answer Razz remember when some one mixed azureus with mystis? and tincs with vents in a 3ft viv? who died? Rolling Eyes Razz

mcfluffin
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep...agreed...

No-ones stopping you from getting loads of vivs for different species though sam...DO NOT RESIST!

Laughing Laughing Laughing
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

sam316
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcfluffin wrote:

No-ones stopping you from getting loads of vivs for different species though sam...DO NOT RESIST!
Laughing Laughing Laughing

haha! Laughing Very Happy indeed i won't be able to resist. darts are great! i know that when i get my first dart there'll be no turning back. Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Amphibians All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: