Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1000 watt thermostat?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Vivarium Design
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cornuta
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:58 am    Post subject: 1000 watt thermostat? Reply with quote

Hi all,

My shed is only using the heater's own built in thermostat to control the temperature, but i feel that this is a bit inaccurate and was looking for something that could handle 1000watts and possibly even have day/night settings.

Anyone know if such a product exists?

I have seen up to 600watt stats on sale.

also does it matter that it is an electric fan heater?

cheers
Colin
Jamesg
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

may I ask what your keeping in the shed?
Jas
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt you will find anything to do all that,I cant think of any decent stats that will switch that load.There are imersion element stats that are cheap can switch 3000k but there not very accurate and i wouldnt advise stipping out your heater stat and rigging this up.You could look into stats for underfloor heating but if they went up that high your probably talking alot of money.If your not happy with what you got now maybe look into those tubular heaters instead, they come in foot lengths up to 8 foot and are about 60 watts a foot i think,these can be spread out and heat the room up more evenly, and there safer.and can be used through a habistat with night drop on a timer. Smile
Cornuta
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jamesg

I have a lot of aquatic based stuff, it means that the shed holds a lot of water and so temperature changes don't really happen too much as the water holds all the heat. Its just that the air temp drops to 72 - 73 before the heater comes on and switches off at 78 - 80, not really too bad as it happens quite quickly. I also use a big fan to circulate the warm air.

Specifically, I have one big tank with rays and a puffer and some unusual Synodontis and other bits and pieces. The tank is 62"long 24tall and 46 front to back.

There are sixteen 8 gallon containers with xenopus (6 species and tadpoles), hymenochirus, snake neck turtles, soft shell turtles, tarantulas, and a couple other bits and pieces

then there is a 36 wide 60 tall by 24 front to back viv with 2 rudicollis monitor babies in it.

Jas-

Thanks, I will stick to this heater for the time being, as i said the water holds its temperature very well, its just the air temp that swings a few degrees but i guess it isn't that bad. EG the monitors have an ambient temperature through the night of about 74 - 75 deg F and all tanks that need a bit extra heat have their own heaters etc. With basking lamps on the monitors have an ambient temp of about 80 - 85 and basking spot of 100 - 110 depending on what bulb they lie under. In their hides through the day it sits about high 70s
baloo
Key Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what is it with ray ppl keeping reptiles Laughing

is there a known cure Surprised
if so i don't wanna know
Mwoxy
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One way of doing what you require is to use a relay with a 240v a/c coil, controlled by a standard day/night stat. You can get 10amp and 30 amp relays from Maplins for less than a tenner(thats 2.4Kw and 7.2Kw respectively!!).

The stat feeds the relay coil and you wire your heating via the relay contacts.(You need to use an on/off stat, pulse and dimming stats would be unsuitable)

As always when dealing with mains voltages, the installation should be carried out by a competant person......

An alternative is to use one of the new digital room stats, very accurate and suprisingly cheap.Such as this one from screwfix http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?cId=100126&ts=87863&id=17585

Cheers

Mark

Last edited by Mwoxy on Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
baloo
Key Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

damn colin i have only just clicked here Embarassed
i will send you a e-mail explaining how i heat my fish house Cool
works 200%
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Vivarium Design All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: