Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ultratherm basking plates.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Review - Books & Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
arborealad
Key Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:36 pm    Post subject: ultratherm basking plates. Reply with quote

Picked a couple of these up from mill garden centre today so the day wasnt a complete disaster. Laughing

Impressed so far. Radiate all heat out through bottom surface and the upper mounting surface is still stone cold after nearly two hours use now. Only 40 watts but spread over a large area. They heat smaller vivs fantastic but id worry about anything over 36 inches.
The herps have all migrated under them so it must be a thumbs up from them too.

Cheaper than the reptile radiators at only £35 and look very flush sat on the viv/ tub roofs.

No more infra red night lamps for me.
arborealad
Key Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

box shot
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

any heat rising through the top yet? all the old heat plates I ever saw were really hot to the touch outside the viv on the top.

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
arborealad
Key Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(runs and checks) Laughing

The tops are warmer now but nothing to shout about. Interestingly i have one of these in a melamine viv and the other in the chondro plastic tub.

The wood is a fair bit warmer to the touch than the plastic mounted one. Shocked
kingcobra
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm quite interested in these, i'm using a plastic box for my gtp which is about 15x12x9 lxwxh, but the two perches are quite high at 5.5" and 6.5 inches respectively,i'm not sure what would be best placement, and i would really need to know there is no way my baby can burn itself.
i did consider a reptile radiator,but the 75 watts is a bit too much.
i would also be interested in possibly using one of the ultratherms within a 45cm square exo-terra glass viv with closed off venting at top,can anybody advise? Smile
kingcobra
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

damn! i just measured and it looks as tho these are a smidgin too big! Mad
Laughing_Lizard_Lady
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are great....I have one on the ceiling in my big 6ft (L) x 4ft (H) viv for my water dragons and it works very well. I used a different basking plate before this which was grey sort of plastic material (cannot rem the brand) but it failed and blew 2 thermostats before failing completely. Decided to risk another type and this Ultratherm one is brilliant and I can definately recommend it. I've been using it constantly for at least 2 years (it's on a thermostat) and I'm planning on buying another for my new 4ft x 4ft viv.
Bri.
Key Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not seen these ones before.
I'm guessing they still need to stat to regulate the heat output. Playing Devil's Advocate, how are they better than a ceramic then ? They look quite a size compared to a ceramic bulb holder.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Review - Books & Products All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: