Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dwarf Retics?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Boas & Pythons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lady Python
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:18 pm    Post subject: Dwarf Retics? Reply with quote

Anyone got information on Dwarf Retics? Size they grow to, temperament etc.
1 Milksnake - Ringo
2 Cali Kingsnakes - Nigel & Sally
7 Cornsnakes - Kai, Ryoko, Kiyone, Charlie, Onyx, Jake & Barney
1 Pinesnake X Bullsnake - Joe

RIP Sammy Snake
Dan
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

size:
5-15 feet (sex and origination dependant)

temprement:
as good as any corn until food is offered , IF you treat it like a corn. It will become as friendly as you want it to be.

Not sure what else you would like to know Smile

The future is bright, the future is a net like pattern.................

I'm NOT an expert, so if you don't want to know my opinion don't ask!!
Lady Python
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've got the chance of one if I want it. It's a female and an absolute stunner...but...it seems to be one very bad tempered little minx. It's about 4ft - 4 1/2ft with serious attitude. It kept striking out when I was holding it in the shop (good job we know the owners of the shop and we were there after hours so there was no one around to see it - the way she reacted it could have put any possible 1st time herper off snakes for life). She tried to bite my face several times but was just out of reach but eventually she managed to tag my hand. She didn't let go either but proceeded to chew it Shocked

I still like her despite that (she may have been scared) but as I know she'd probably grow into a very large snake, it's one thing being nasty at 4ft long, but totally something different at 10ft+. She's mine if I want her. Her pricetag is £300 but as I know the shop owner, he has said he would give me discount (we're good customers). BTW, that was before she bit me.

Her next door neighbour is a young normal Retic (about 3ft in length) and she was as sweet as a kitten. Very inquisitive but very gentle and let me handle her with no problem at all. Unfortunately I don't have enough room for a 20ft snake!
1 Milksnake - Ringo

RIP Sammy Snake
JStroud
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know what locality it is?
Lady Python
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wiltshire.
1 Milksnake - Ringo

RIP Sammy Snake
Stuart
Forum Clown
Forum Clown

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lady Python wrote:
Wiltshire.

Laughing Laughing Laughing lol..I think he means the local of the retic..i.e jampea,kayuadi etc.. Cool
JStroud
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuart wrote:
Lady Python wrote:
Wiltshire.

Laughing Laughing Laughing lol..I think he means the local of the retic..i.e jampea,kayuadi etc.. Cool

Laughing Laughing Laughing Cheers Stu, I did mean the above and not where in England Laughing
Dan
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The biting isn't a typical dwarf thing, normally they like to musk all over you and try there hardest to get away. Restricting them does provoke panic and biting (same as any snake) but even as a WC snake she shouldnt be too bad.
There are some things you need to ask about. Firstly find out where she came from, ie WC or CB (if CB, by who). I doubt she is CB to be honest, price is the main indication. If she is WC, has she been treated and if she came from wholesalers was she on the list for long. If she was a private buy ask how long they previous owner had it.

Because she is a female she will by default be on the bigger end of the scale i mentioned earlier, so your looking at 7 to 15ft depending on locality and origin. If she is WC you can bring that closer to around 7 or 12 feet depending on locality.
Here's the bit where a lot of people fall over. If she is Kayuadi you're looking at a 7 foot girl MAXIMUM, probably more likely to be around 6 feet as a steady length. If Jampea you are looking at 12 feet as a good sized female.
If you want to ask how to tell the difference, errrrm...... Don't!! The shop wont know for sure and getting a reliable description of either is hard. You need to find someone near you who REALLY knows retics or post a picture on the net once you have taken the chance and bought it.
Bare in mind that after about 10 feet retics start to fill out so a 12 foot snake isn't just longer than a 7 footer it is generally bigger and stronger. Sounds obvious but it's hard to explain without having one in each size range to show you. If you're not really happy then a 12 footer is a bad thing.
When it comes to the attitude as she gets bigger. You will fall into one of two groups , the first are the unlucky bunch who just can't calm the snake (it isnt interested in being calm), the second is a bigger group and is the people who have spent time and effort (just like the other group) and get good results, ie the snake puts up with moderate handling and reverts back to musking as a last resort. It's a lottery i am afraid, she will either calm or not no matter how hard you try.

Me, i say go for it. You are only looking at a foot difference in final viv size so room wont be as much of an issue as you'd think and they are quite partial to playing around in trees so you can make a nice display with them if you so choose.

The future is bright, the future is a net like pattern.................

I'm NOT an expert, so if you don't want to know my opinion don't ask!!
goldenburm
Captivebred Colonel

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep i feel dan has hit that one spot on! I had a yellow head here that when i described it to michael of LF ( I thought Bali yellow) he described to me one called a gabon isle which is highly silver and this thing was like a steel bar with patches of green onit! and the head and neck where canary yellow! Well anyway this thing came to me in a poor state, would not feed as kept too cool the usual rubbish, well after a lot of work and more near misses she finally started eating once she built her strength back MY GOD!!!!! I am not afraid of any snake but this was the closest I had been. I had taken her in as a rescue so thankfully had no long terms plans to keep once fit and well, this girl was th emost powerful snake I have ever met (I was in awe of her ) her power was immense. I have kept burms for many years so used to size and power of those but the tic was a different kettle of fish! ANyway After 6 months and 4 ft in length on her and clean bill of health I rehomed her, I thought I have to tell the truth about her, she HATED ME with a passion, whenever I walked into the room she was bang bang bang, anyone else she was fine until u got too close. Yet after explaining to this woman about her temperament, she goes I have a tic so no probs. SHe came round I had bagged up the tic for my sake as well as hers. Well she goes to open the bag and reaches in bold as brass and pulls out an 11ft cornsnake! damn thing sat round her neck for 30 mins while we chatted, she opened her mouth and all sorts and this snake did sod all!

I was sooo pleased she went to the right home! But I digress I feel she was a WC and I was not ready for that I had 10 yrs big snake experience but a WC retic I was not ready for!! I have held many tics CB and as dan said as long as it aint feeding time they can be as tame as any burm or corn! I would love to own a dwarf or superdwarf in the future, luckily there are more people who have clicked into their habits and are now having great results in breeding!

I think a tic has the most active alert brain I have met in any snake, they are soo curious and aware! They are like an overgrown corn on speed and steroids!!

Good luck hope my rambling aint put you off!

Oh sorry more rambling, I took in a 7ft male burm that looked like a toblerone bar was kept all its life in a 3x2x2 viv! and it was 7 yrs old!!!!! 3" feaces in bottom and 1 rat every 2-3 months, no water and an unthermostatted heatmat! This was the only burm I have ever met that has physically struck out at me personally, i have gotten many hisses and blows but this thing was afraid of its environment. I moved it to a 5x3x2 viv with 2 big hides and after 9 months of hard work he was rehomed at 11ft and a great body weight and was upto piglets when he left, he is still going strong and is now 11 yrs old!!!

99.9% of all snakes if handled correctly can be tamed down to a certain degree, if u take on the tic I wish u all the best and I look forward to loads of pics!!!!

Search the net of tic pics, there are plenty out there to give u an idea! Or how about tell us where it is and if one of us is near we can perhaps tell u ourselves!!

Peter
1.0 pastel motley DEAD
2.0 sunglows 1.0 LIVING
1.1 pastel het snow 0.1 LIVING
2.2 albino boas DEAD
0.2 albino ara's DEAD
0.4 boa constrictors 0.2 LIVING
Lady Python
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must have been sleeping when I wrote Wiltshire Embarassed

As far as I'm aware she's a Bali Dwarf Retic. Her colouring is almost identical to a normal Retic and her head is turning yellow. She also has the most beautiful irridescent sheen from nose to tail of sapphire blue. She is an absolute stunner.

I've just heard from another forum that you may need to have a DWA licence to keep Retics shortly. Anyone know if there's any truth in that?

(Damned RSPCA, and yes, we've all signed the petition Twisted Evil )
1 Milksnake - Ringo

RIP Sammy Snake
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Boas & Pythons All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: