Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

what on earth is this?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Invertebrates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darren.j.b
Key Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:44 pm    Post subject: what on earth is this? Reply with quote

this was on the night owls, some one found it and no one knows what it is anyone no?
http://images.radcity.net/6241/1760311.jpg
oldelpaso
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like one of the Hawk Moth caterpillars?
Rob Byatt
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elephant hawkmoth larva. Not so common these days. I used to breed hundreds of these; still love them but no space !

Keep species newly available in the UK in culture - send them to breeders. It's not about money !
reeve105a
Key Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The adult moth varies between 62 and 72 mm wingspan. The ground colour is a bright cerise pink with greenish to khaki markings on the wings and body - (I often feel that this animal represents the archetype for the 'pink elephants' supposedly so often seen by people when drunk!). It is an resident moth which is usually single brooded in Britain but which can in long, warm summers produce a partial second brood. Its main brood flies from mid-May through to the end of July, with any second brood taking the flight period through until the end of August. This moth is widely distributed in Cheshire and is the commonest hawk-moth in the County, although if the records were based purely upon larval sightings it would never have reached such a local status.

Larva:
The larvae are large, usually 80 to 85 millimetres in length. The ground colouration of the body is usually brown though a green form is also known to occur. Both the green and brown forms have the ground colouration heavily speckled with grey and have distinctive black and pink eye spots on the fourth and fifth body segments. The larval horn is small and black with a white tip.

Foodplant(s):
The larvae usually feed from July through to September on a variety of willowherbs, especially Rosebay Willowherb but can be found less commonly on bedstraws, garden fuschia and bog-bean.

Overwintering:
The moth overwinters as a pupa/chrysalis in the ground beneath its foodplant. However, this caterpillar will often wander far from its foodplant to find a suitable pupation site.

Key Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob Byatt wrote:
Elephant hawkmoth larva. Not so common these days. I used to breed hundreds of these; still love them but no space !

Wow Smile

Did you breed them for release into the wild? Or for other reasons?
Rob Byatt
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neep_neep wrote:
Rob Byatt wrote:

Wow Smile

Did you breed them for release into the wild? Or for other reasons?

Just 'coz I like them Very Happy I did release a few hundred back to where I collected them. This was around '93; I've been back recently but not one to be seen.

There are people that breed a lot more than that number Wink

Rob.

Keep species newly available in the UK in culture - send them to breeders. It's not about money !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Invertebrates All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: