Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rat colonies

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Feeder Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peaches
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:23 pm    Post subject: Rat colonies Reply with quote

I read your care guide Scott, sounds a great way of producing rats although I wont need as many as you Laughing

I have a 3ft glass viv that I was thinking of using for rats - is this suitable?

I was thinking then of just a small colony, say 1 male and 3 or 4 females. Without the rotation because I just don't have the cages.

Is the dietry needs much different than mice? what extras do rats get?

Any rat thoughts or info appreaciated Very Happy
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i use Dr John's Dog biscuit, retail price is about £6 (I buy 65sacks at a time Laughing )

The tank would be ok, although hard to clean and not easy to provide water etc.

Try and get an RC1 lab rat cage, singular they should cost you about £25 each but are well worth the money.

If you are sticking to a fixed group, you could go 1.4 in an RC1 (about the floor space of an 3ftx18" fish tank)

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
reeve105a
Key Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never kept rats. But at a pet shop that I used to work in we kept mice, hamsters, rats etc. in glass tanks. They chewed all of the exposed silicone and after a while dirt was trapped in between the glass which we could not remove.
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked 65 bags!!!! Shocked Laughing

I have mice in another glass viv, for the water I use some suction cups with hooks on them to hold the bottle. The only thing you have to do is add another level for climbing.

Do you have any links pics of the RC1 as I just can't seem to find anything Question

Edit - So slow at typing my reply there. Thanks for that Reeve, not good then lol
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Feeder Forum All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: