Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Poster/Owner of a Sulcata hatchling here!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Tortoises & Turtles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rootbeer
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuart wrote:
Lovely tortoise..can you resize your sig image please to 300x100 max,thanks.

Thanks and done!

Wow, I made this thread back in 2006 haha. But yeah, Rootbeer is doing great. Very Happy
Lynne

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

he is lovely.
Captivebred Colonel

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very nice Very Happy
Rootbeer
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the nice compliments! Here's an updated pic of the tub.

musher116
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:52 am    Post subject: not good enough Reply with quote

im sorry to be negative but stir crazy comes to mind that poor sulcata stuck in that tub how boring a life he has got sorry to burst your bubble but that really is not good enough sorry ,one tuff of grass boring why dont you look up on sulcata station and get an idea what these guys need i would not dream of keeping mine in something like that like i said sorry and i know i wont be popular for saying this but its the sulcata im thinking of . Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
Lynne

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what would you suggest for a sulcatta. im not being negative either, i dont know about these and would like to know what would be ideal. Very Happy
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: not good enough Reply with quote

musher116 wrote:
im sorry to be negative but stir crazy comes to mind that poor sulcata stuck in that tub how boring a life he has got sorry to burst your bubble but that really is not good enough sorry ,one tuff of grass boring why dont you look up on sulcata station and get an idea what these guys need i would not dream of keeping mine in something like that like i said sorry and i know i wont be popular for saying this but its the sulcata im thinking of . Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Yeah, it's really boring that he gets spoiled and get taken to the park every other day for at least three hours. Not to mention gets taken out daily for half an hour on our big backyard. Cool

I've had him for a year now and he's very happy, active, and almost too hyper for us sometimes.

P.S. The tub is also a feet and a half deep for him to burrow. And yes, I've read Sulcata Station more times than I can remember.
Lynne

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how big is he now rootbeer, and how big will he grow?
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont mean to add negative comments but taking him to the park is not ideal esp if he is eating the weeds there. If you think what is in the park i.e dog mess then you will understand. Also his carapace is showing poor growth. It should be as smooth as possible rather than bumpy. It can be due to diet so check what and how much he is eating.
Rootbeer
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukgeckos wrote:
I dont mean to add negative comments but taking him to the park is not ideal esp if he is eating the weeds there. If you think what is in the park i.e dog mess then you will understand. Also his carapace is showing poor growth. It should be as smooth as possible rather than bumpy. It can be due to diet so check what and how much he is eating.

I feed him before I let him into the park grass so he usually doesn't eat weeds or any of the such. The parks we take him to doesn't use pesticide on their grass but I still don't let him eat it due to the dog feces as you mentioned.

His carapace is slightly bumpy due to the low humidity where I live. I didn't realize this till later so we both suffered for it. After finding several ways to keep humidity up in his enclosure, his shell has gotten better. He has a good low protein, high calcium diet with Vitamin D3 supplements. Along with the natural sunlight, his enclosure has a UV bulb which gives out 7%+ UVB output. I am not an impulse buyer, but this is my first herp/tortoise. Very Happy

P.S. His carapace nor his plastron feel soft or hollow.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Tortoises & Turtles All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: