Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Suggested Projects
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Reptile Conservation Projects
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:10 pm    Post subject: Suggested Projects Reply with quote

Please add your suggestings for which project is to receive the CaptiveBred Reptile Forums Conservation Fund donations. Please add a link to their site and details of the project to help people decide which to vote for.

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to put forward Project Heloderma http://www.ircf.org/projectheloderma/

The IRCF is now a partner of Project Heloderma and supporting efforts to prevent the extinction of the Guatemalan Beaded Lizard. Fewer than 200 individuals remain in the unique dry forest habitat of the Motagua Valley. The Guatemalan Beaded Lizard is facing extinction due to local extermination and loss of habitat for agricultural purposes. Project Heloderma’s mission is to educate local residents within the valley, secure protected area, and develop a breeding/headstart program to replenish the declining population.

Zootropic’s Project Heloderma is a component of the conservation effort to preserve the Semi-arid Habitat of the Motagua Valley under the NGO leadership of Fundación Defensores de la Naturaleza, and supported by CONAP (the National Council of Protected Areas), and The Nature Conservancy. Project Heloderma partners include, Zootropic, Fundacion Defensores de la Naturaleza, CONAP, the IRCF, Zoo Atlanta, and San Diego Zoo.

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
Peter Parrot
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to suggest a contribution towards http://www.herpconstrust.org.uk/index.htm

This organisation is devoted to our own Native as well as European Herps.
We have some species in this country which are in dire need of help, especially the smooth snake.
The trust operate a habitat preservation policy as well as a captive breeding and re release programme and have enabled certain populations to "reclaim" former haunts.

Here is part of their achievements listed working with the endangered Sand lizards;

The Sand Lizard serves admirably to illustrate the advantages of captive breeding. In the wild, the eggs are exposed to many dangers. Unseasonal weather changes can dry them out or cause them to hatch too late for the young to survive or, indeed not to hatch out at all. Even just one mountain biker or horse rider riding along a sandy track can destroy several clutches of eggs. Possibly because many populations are small and isolated, resulting in inbreeding, viability of eggs can sometimes be lowered. As little as half the eggs laid might hatch even in a reasonably good year so far as weather is concerned.

Once the young do hatch they are small and extremely vulnerable to many sorts of predator and are faced with the task of getting as much food as possible in the few short weeks before hibernation. The consequence of these and other pressures are that only about 5% of these youngsters survive to maturity.

Conversely, with captive breeding in well managed vivaria hatch rates are much higher. The young hatch earlier and are well fed before release, with a longer period in which to eat further and establish themselves in a hibernaculum ready for the rigors of winter. As a consequence, survival rates are much higher and frequently maturity is reached a full season earlier.
As part of the Sand Lizard Species Programme, HCT co-ordinates a breeding and release programme which involves a number of vivaria run by skilled herpetologists in both private gardens and zoos. All three of the British races of Sand Lizard are maintained. As a direct consequence of this programme, several new populations of the Dorset race have been introduced, helping to not only secure its status but to expand. The Wealden race has also benefited greatly and is now restored to much of its former range. Some efforts have been switched recently to the rarest of the races - the Merseyside race. It is early days yet but already it has resulted in a successful re-introduction into North Wales after an absence of some 50 years - and a second is now under way.

Visit our website - Gwelwch ein Gwefan
www.btcvcymru.org
Llinell Gymorth / Helpline: 08702 40 48 41
BossHogg
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my local rescue group could really do with some funds but i dont think there would be eligable would there????
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BossHogg wrote:
my local rescue group could really do with some funds but i dont think there would be eligable would there????

Not really, it's for conservation projects rather than captive rescues.

Just A Beginner
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gray's Monitor/Butaan/Varanus olivaceus conservation on the island of Polillo, Phillipenes http://mampam.50megs.com/butaan.htm. Mampam conservation project for the Phillipenes' other giant monitor lizard, only unlike the famous Komodo Dragon the Butaan is shy, highly arboreal, fruit eating, poorly understood, rarely if ever been bred in captivity and nowhere near as well conserved.

Fijian Iguana: http://www.fijiancrestediguana.com/phases/phase_1/phase_1.html
Blue Iguana: http://www.blueiguana.ky/

These are just 3 large lizard ones I remembered, but theres plenty of reptiles out there in need of attention! As herpers I think we could probably turn our attention to the less glamorous species ignored by the public and make a real impact.

http://www.geocities.com/crayon_conservationist/
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone else wish to nominate a conservation project?

MJ
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Operation atelopus!

Chytrid is wipeing out a HUGE amount of amphibians in south and central america Sad

The Atelopus toad family is being hit hard with many species disapearing for ever eachand every year Sad

A young biologist from Lancaster PA (america) named justin yeager is fighting this devastating affect along with the University of Ecuador.

I'm not a great one to explain things in writing so i will let my mate Justin yeager and the website speak for them selves!

http://www.atelopus.org/

For all your Tropical plant and Naturalistic Vivarium needs please enjoy Urban Bromeliad
callmechook
Key Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll second Pete's suggestion, theres a program for Sand Lizards on the Heath that I live next to and they work incredibly hard to protect and reinstate this species, we have been able to see free living lizards due to this excellent program and they deserve every bit of help they can get. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

all sort this thread out tomorrow, put up the suggestions for voting Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Reptile Conservation Projects All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: