Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What to feed?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Feeder Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GJ
Key Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 4:56 pm    Post subject: What to feed? Reply with quote

My dubia roaches are eating very little does anybody have any suggestions on what to feed.

Iv been feeding dry cat/dog biscuits with potato,carrots,parsnip,dandelion leaves and oranges and i am throwing away more than whats being eaten. I have seen 50 small-medium crickets polish off more food then my roaches, both are similar in size but roaches are of a greater number.

Also when offering cat/dog biscuits is it better to grind up the food into a powder before offering?
johne.ev
Key Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi GJ.
Iv'e been having exactly the same problem. i have tried raising the temps 85 hot end 80 cooler, feeding recomended fruit & veg but i haven't even seen any feeding. i crushed up cat food but not sure if needed. just leaving them to it now, in case i was disturbing them too much. good luck .
Rickeezee
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use also green salad to provide moisture and slices of apple. I use wheat bran also and odds and ends of vegetable scraps. Dog or cat food I use dry and just crush it up a bit.

Mine eat but dont eat loads. But are reproducing.

I must admit my personal preference is for lobster roaches they devour everything put in front of them and breed like mad things! Same as my red runners and to a degree my deathheads the death heads are less prolific and live life in the slow lane.

I know most folk rate Dubia, and I dont argue with this at all, but my firm favourite is the lobster roaches without a doubt but each to their own.

I may get some more dubia from another supplier to see if these fair better.

I am not knocking my original supplier in any way I hasten to add. Am just interested to see if there is any difference.

Anyone else got any tips on dubia husbandry that may help please?

Lobsters Laughing

Rickeezee
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep em hotter guys I have recently tried some on an unstated heat mat, they are better. But you guessed it, I still prefer me lobsters Laughing

Orange Spotted Cockroaches
(Blaptica dubia)

Note : Referred to as orange spotted roaches, yet another unrelated species also shares this common name

Daytime temps 90 to 95 - night time temps above 65
Lifespan 1.5 years
Max length 1½"
Reach adult size in 2 to 3 months at 95 degrees
Sexual maturity in 2 months
Females can produce up to 30 young at a time
Gestation period approximately 25 days
Flightless but adults can "flutter" for short distances
Non glass climbers, but a lid is recommended
Fresh fruits and vegetables offered twice a week may help to promote breeding

GJ
Key Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice.

I providing them with the same care as my lobsters. I chuck in fruit & veg every other day and mist them regularly for moisture.

Temps range from 70f-80f so i believe I'm keeping them too low, i will boost the temperatures and offer more greens.
Rickeezee
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GJ wrote:
Thanks for the advice.

I providing them with the same care as my lobsters. I chuck in fruit & veg every other day and mist them regularly for moisture.

Temps range from 70f-80f so i believe I'm keeping them too low, i will boost the temperatures and offer more greens.

Let me know how you get on please and I will do the same.

Forgot to say I have found they are prone to drying out if not to carefull!

johne.ev
Key Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have raised my temps & mine are now feeding, althoug not a great deal.
Rickeezee
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johne.ev wrote:
Have raised my temps & mine are now feeding, althoug not a great deal.

Odd innit?

Insectsunlimited
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:48 am    Post subject: Feeding B. dubia. Reply with quote

Hi There, I can only agree with Rick on all he says about "the lobster". They are the quickest to mature, the most prolific breeder & with the highest nutritional value & best shell/meat ratio of any roach, which makes them my favourite (in a "feeder roach" sense). Sadly, they are also the most invasive & if you are worried about being overrun with them, your nearest option is B. dubia. ( A lot of people consider wood roaches too quick to cope with).
B. dubia is the one I steer people to that want the "best roach that doesn`t climb". It is also much more docile & manageable. Having said that, they are slower to mature, slower to breed (which is why they don`t eat as much as their metabolism is much slower), ideally need a larger colony to be happy in to breed. Once your colony is about 1,000 strong, they breed much quicker. They also like higher temperatures... I keep mine in the same room as my hissers (between 92 & 95d F).
N.B. The Blaptica dubia is the Guyanan orange spotted roach. Not to be confused with Eublaberus distanti (6 spot roach) or Eublaberus prosticus (orange headed roach).

It may be the early bird that gets the worm but it`s the 2nd mouse that gets the cheese.
GJ
Key Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, after upping the temperatures 86-92 they have been doing better, however as Rick previously mentioned i was finding quite a few dead(dryed up), so i decided to use a little topsoil for substrate. I have been giving it a light misting every couple of weeks and have provided a damp spot in the corner to boost humidity. I now need to adjust the ventilation and the level of humidity to prevent the moulding of the fruit & veg Mad.

I have been told that they like fruit (apples & oranges in particular).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Feeder Forum All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: