Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Raccoons
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Other Pets / Exotics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mememe
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:12 pm    Post subject: Raccoons Reply with quote

I was wondering if anyone has any info on them/kept them before?
Are they DWA?

I just spent an hour or so playing with a fun little chappy Very Happy (Called Stevie, of course)

They're like really playful, hyper puppies crossed with the curiosity of a baby and the waddle of a penguin! Laughing

No man is an Island. Except the Isle of Man.
Peter Parrot
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in a taxi in west Wales around 16 years ago with three other people when we hit what was clearly a raccoon. I got the driver to turn back and there it was with its ears flat hissing at me the poor sod. I could not grab it in time and it hopped off into the hedgerow in the darkness. There were two more sightings within a month and within a ten mile radius of our sighting. Someone had 5 and had tried to give them to the then local wildlife park which is now a nature reserve.

It looks like they just released them which was a grossly irresponsible thing to do. It is a species which could easily proliferate here just like the grey squirrel and American mink. For this reason I would not br suprised if there are regulations concerning their keeping in captivity. I dont know for sure though.

Very intelligent and adaptable animals and if hand reared very responsive as you say. My uncle`s neighbour has one in the States and it`s great fun, if a tad destructive of property! Smile Wink
Visit our website - Gwelwch ein Gwefan
www.btcvcymru.org
Llinell Gymorth / Helpline: 08702 40 48 41
Mememe
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stranger then the usual roadkill! Shocked

Interesting that they can reproduce here, I can imagine that being a real problem if a few did get out. Great climbers too.

He was a bit nippy, and VERY boisterous when fed! Laughing

MJ
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After living states side for 5 years I can say RACOON'S WILL LIVE AND BREED ANY WHERE lol

very intelligent and play full bit I have no idea about the licensing laws etc.

For all your Tropical plant and Naturalistic Vivarium needs please enjoy Urban Bromeliad
Gazz
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter Parrot wrote:
I was in a taxi in west Wales around 16 years ago with three other people when we hit what was clearly a raccoon. I got the driver to turn back and there it was with its ears flat hissing at me the poor sod. I could not grab it in time and it hopped off into the hedgerow in the darkness. There were two more sightings within a month and within a ten mile radius of our sighting. Someone had 5 and had tried to give them to the then local wildlife park which is now a nature reserve.

It looks like they just released them which was a grossly irresponsible thing to do. It is a species which could easily proliferate here just like the grey squirrel and American mink. For this reason I would not br suprised if there are regulations concerning their keeping in captivity. I dont know for sure though.

Very intelligent and adaptable animals and if hand reared very responsive as you say. My uncle`s neighbour has one in the States and it`s great fun, if a tad destructive of property! Smile Wink

About 2/3 year ago i remember on the news seeing footage of a raccoon raiding a bin.This was in the east Anglia area UK i wonder if there are feral/alian raccoons in the UK ??.
Peter Parrot
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definately. After my sighting I got in contact with the D.O.E. who put me in touch with a chap who`s sole job is to keep track and monitor escapee species and he semt me some data (well out of date by now) which had a suprising number of species on it which have been trapped in this country including porcupines and various cat species.

Raccoons were listed along with wild boar as the next most likely species to sustain a breeding population. That was 16 years ago so I should have thought it highly likely that they are in cartain areas already.
Visit our website - Gwelwch ein Gwefan
www.btcvcymru.org
Llinell Gymorth / Helpline: 08702 40 48 41
Mememe
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone guess the most approved theory of why they often soak their food in water? (but only in captivity)

(no google)
Smile

Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

100% sure Racoons are on the DWA.
Makes sense to me after all they are far bigger than your average dog Confused

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
Mememe
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So are horses Laughing

(Know what you mean though, nasty teeth, almost got me a couple of times, they do 'play' bite a lot)

Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mememe wrote:
So are horses Laughing

(Know what you mean though, nasty teeth, almost got me a couple of times, they do 'play' bite a lot)

Laughing I was being sarcastic.....in other words you can buy a Rottweiler and take it to the park...no problem...Try and buy a racoon (the size of a large pussy cat) and no chance!!! License, Insurance and hassle Shocked

Go figure Confused

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Other Pets / Exotics All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: