Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

pregnant beardie maybe

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Bearded, Rankins & Frilled Dragons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
apocalypse
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 8:50 pm    Post subject: pregnant beardie maybe Reply with quote

2 of my beardies are mating male is a yellow sandfire the female a hypo red the problem is i dont know what to do if a clutch of eggs are produced. the male seems to be enjoying chasing the female around the viv and erm climbing on top for some fun. i know i already have 11 beardies but i'd love to actually have my first home bread babies one day just dont know what to do
0.0.1 young water dragon
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

First thing is to get a deep (15cm) plastic tub with a lid, cut a hole on the top (8cm diameter approx). Fill this up to about 5cm from the top with damp peat or damp vermiculite. Place this tub in the warmer end of the viv and put a branch or similar leading to the top of it. She will start digging a few days before she is due to lay. Once she has laid she will look very skinny, so give some high quality food, maybe a defrosted fluff.

Next you need to set up your incubator, basically this can be anything that keeps a stable temp of 82f. at this temp they will hatch in around 70 - 80 days. Take the eggs out of the laying box as soon as the female has come back out. Set the eggs up in a new tub (can be air tight) which has damp vermiculite (soak it, they squeeze out excess water with your hands, that should then be damp enough) in the bottom (about 5cms of vermiculite). Try and make sure you place all the eggs the same way up as they were laid. You can then just leave the eggs in the incubator, just checking every week that the vermiculite is damp enough.

Any other questions....just ask.
apocalypse
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers scott out of interest how much is a ready made incubator
0.0.1 young water dragon
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not too sure, I've always built my own but I'm sure someone can help?

You can use something simple like a polystrene box with a heat mat (wrapped round the inside) and then a pulse habistat thermosat, works out to £16 mat, £30 for stat, then just ask a fish dealer for a box.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Bearded, Rankins & Frilled Dragons All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: