Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need advice on what snake to get next ?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Snakes - General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lisa
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:49 am    Post subject: Need advice on what snake to get next ? Reply with quote

Hello

Im wondering if anyone can give me some good advice on what type of snake to get next ? i have corns at the moment, love them. I wanted a Royal but the more people i speak to I am realising that maybe its not wise. I want to be able to handle it alike my corns ( who love to come out)
A species with a nice temprement.. any one got any sugestions ?

would be much appreciated..I also like milk snakes

thank you
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi Lisa, welcome to the forum.

A royal python would be fine if you bought a yearly CB, but you would need to buy from somewhere you trusted & have the correct set up.

Perhaps sticking to colurbrids (corns, rats, kings & milks) might be easier for you. Pueblan milks are great snakes, you can treat them like corns but don't house with other snakes. Sinaloan milks are nice snakes too. Which ever you go for, make sure it's got good body weight and is feeding on defrost food. There are lots of baby snakes around at this time of year, just be sure you buy a healthy feeding animal or you will end up with problems.

Try and buy from a local source so you can go back for help at any time.

good luck
Scott
Lisa
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks scott,

that was some good info. I trust the reptile shop owner i visit..he has helped me out so much in the past. I love the milk snakes, are these known as king snakes too ?
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

king snakes are different to milks but you can treat them identical.

almost all milk snakes are banded in three colours (red, black yellow/white) where as king snakes are very variable with only the mountain kings being banded.

Any of the tri-colour kings and milks can be tricky to get feeding but once established they all do great.
Stuart
Forum Clown
Forum Clown

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lisa Milks are stunning snakes..and stay at a nice size too..A friend of mine has recently bred sinaloans and has some available..as Scott said they have to housed seperatley. Very Happy
Lisa
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks guys...u r nice on here arnt u !!!

Dont get me wrong i love all reptiles but Milks have such vibrant stunning colours..I will defo be visiting the shop i go to this weekend!
Pendlehog
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may also want to think about western hognoses. If you like the bright colours they may not be for you, as the morphs are still prohibitively expensive, but they are a very friendly, handlable species from an early age and most will eat like pigs!
These snakes also only grow to around 2 feet and thus dont require quite so much room as a king or milk I keep my hognoses in 24" cubes, whilst most kings will require something aroung 36" long.
Let us know what you choose, and post some piccies up when you've got it home Smile
snakesalive
Key Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 11:56 pm    Post subject: k Reply with quote

hi i breed sinaloans this year i have a few left for sale if your intrested all feeding defrost now

k

just pm me or email karl_wwf@hotmail.com
Mwoxy
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lisa,

Have you considered gopher/pine/bull snakes. I know some ssp grow a tad bigger than corns etc and occasionally have strong personalities Laughing

I have always loved these snakes, not as showy as the milk/kings but really great snakes.

Happy New Year.

regards

Mark
Jamesg
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mwoxy wrote:
Hi Lisa,

Have you considered gopher/pine/bull snakes. I know some ssp grow a tad bigger than corns etc and occasionally have strong personalities Laughing

I have always loved these snakes, not as showy as the milk/kings but really great snakes.

Happy New Year.

regards

Mark

Pine snakes are awesome snakes, I would recommend them myself.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Snakes - General All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: