Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

need help/advice please...........

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BabesnPets
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:00 am    Post subject: need help/advice please........... Reply with quote

went into the shop where i bought my corn hatchling yesterday(i have had him for around 4 weeks now) and there is still another hatchling in there that isnt eating, i know hes not eating cos theyve told me, i also saw 2 leacustic(sp?) geckos who they say are on there last legs cos they cant think of what else to do, one of them was really skinny you could see his bones
i want to ask if i can bring them home and have a try with them, as i feel with the help of you guys i may be able to get em eating cos a shop environmant has to stressfull doesnt it??
but is it the done thing, if ya know what i mean, what kind of thing would i say if i were to go in and ask??
or what would you guys say??
any advice/help greatfully appreciated.
thanks in advance for any help/advice given
cheers guys, love rach xx
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Racheal,

what ever you do DON'T buy them, you could say something like "I couldn't help but notice the two geckos aren't doing very well, would you like me to take them home and try and save them?" or words to that effect.

If they aren't interested in that, ask them what they plan to do to help the animals? Suggest that it doesn't help their reputation if there are poorly looking animals on display and that the RSPCA are always on the look out to prosecute owners of exotic animal pet shops.

You could also say that you are writing a review of shops you visit and it goes on a public forum, obviously they wouldn't want bad publicity Wink

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
Rickeezee
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rach

Admirable proposal. If it was me, I would go in softly at first, and say look you have told me your not sure what to do for these herps. I can provide dedicated time to help them, and I have well informed support.

As Scott said DO NOT OFFER THEM ANY MONEY!

If they do not go for this introduce an edge and be more assertive, (always best to start of softly so as not to encourage defensiveness), such as what Scott has suggested. Also initially worth stating it is not good for customers for them to see animals in poor health and you appreciate that they have done their best etc. If that don't work become heavy and mention RSPCA etc and being a member of a well known herp forum etc. Any one with an ounce of business sense will get the message.

Nice though if they end up thinking you have done them a favour Wink Which of course you will have done!

That then leaves the door open for you being able to continue a good rapport with them and offer advise etc.

Do you think the animals are in poor helath due to neglect or lack of knolwedge or both?

Good luck and keep us posted on what happens.

BabesnPets
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers scott ill try that, thanks, and i wouldnt buy them, cos they are in no state to be bought if ya get me?
I COULD GET EM HOME AND THEY DIE AND THEN THE SHOP SAY WELL ITS NOT OUR PROBLEM, ooops sorry about that. i think im gonna go down there now and ask them. cheers again, Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: