Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Opinions wanted

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
geckomaster
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:28 pm    Post subject: Opinions wanted Reply with quote

Hi, could people please let me know there opinions on keeping reptiles whilst they have young children. Personally i think that the risk of salmonella is low as long as you use your head and dont let anything the kids use come into contact with the herps equipment. Any comment good or bad will be listened to. Thanks, Jay.
4.2.0 Bufo brongersmai
Kat
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i thought coming into contact with low levels of any bug was good for kids as it strengthens their immune system. Hence the saying, "you clearly never played in the dirt when you were a kid" to people who are rife with allergies and prone to sickness and generally ill looking.
Dan
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have to say it depends on species. Iggies for example are likely to pass this on.
I would assume though you are right, apply some common sense and keep pregnant women and young kids from contact with herps/equipment.

While i agree that in todays society there is far too much "wrapping in cotton wool" i would have to say that this isn't applicable here - a bad case of salmonella could kill a young child.

The future is bright, the future is a net like pattern.................

I'm NOT an expert, so if you don't want to know my opinion don't ask!!
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would imagine simple common sense actions would eliminate almost all risks (simply washing your hands after touching or cleaning). I certainly wouldn't let a child put their hands or objects in it's mouth after touching reptiles (or cats, dogs etc).

I have kept reptiles over 20 years now and not had any cases of salmonella.

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
Rickeezee
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh, common sense precautions; most kids come into contact with cats or dogs and the same rules should apply wash hands etc. I think with reptiles being in vivs it is far more likely that if a kid is going to handle them an adult may be present, unless the herp is the kids then they should know about hand washing anyway as part of keeping a herp.

A small bottle of medi scrub can be left near the herps or the herp room door. Same stuff as they encourage you to use in hospitals to prevent the spread of MRSA. A quick dash of that on the hands, simple no need to wash will kill of all germs and evaporate. I have a few small bottles of it somewhere that I aquired, they even have a belt clip so you can look a complete dick Laughing . Easy enough to buy though.

One last point; I think it's good for kids to handle and care for herps with the right supervision, at least they learn about how to care for something and become involved in a responsible hobby. Better than a playstation!

Sorry for waffling Embarassed

peaches
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with what has been said, my children know that after handling/touching any of our animals that they wash their hands, I have a bottle of vetasept too which I find very quick and simple to use with kids.
geckomaster
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your views people. As usual they have been great, again thanks for your help. Jay. Cool Smile
4.2.0 Bufo brongersmai
raptor
Key Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We bought a morelia once that turned out to be riddled with salmonella (it didn't make it, BTW) As we have kids in the house, we were naturally concerned. Our vet told us that there are 21 different strains of salmonella, only 2 of which are transmittable to humans, so I wouldn't worry too much about that as a risk. As everyone else has said, follow the usual sensible hygene precautions, & they'll be fine. There's probably less risk of cross-infections than there are with cats & dogs. Look at some of the things that toddlers put in their mouths. I say Go for it, you're only going to broaden their horizons, & their appreciation for living creatures Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: