Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Whats the difference?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:32 pm    Post subject: Whats the difference? Reply with quote

Ok so you often see the question "what is a good starter snake/lizard/tortoise"

There are a few animals that most automatically think of.
My question is simple, what makes an animal a good starter?

When you think about it in theory as long as you do some research then there shouldn't be many animals that can't be kept as a first animal. I mean animals are surely only hard if you have kept something else. I would suggest it is far easier to keep a retic as a first snake and then move down to a corn snake than it is to get a corn and work up to a retic. Essentially though the principles are the same and if you have never kept a snake before then you wouldn't know what you are doing is meant to be harder than it would be for other species.

Does that make sense?

Anyway, so what REALLY makes an animal ideal as a first? Bare in mind to answer this you'd have to imagine you've never kept said animal type before.

The future is bright, the future is a net like pattern.................

I'm NOT an expert, so if you don't want to know my opinion don't ask!!
Pendlehog
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting thread Dan. My thoughts are that there are no "beginner" species as such just some that are more forgiving of error than others.

For example if you keep a corn at the incorrect temperatures it will matter less than for a GTP

BUT if you kept that GTP exactly as told by experienced keepers would it really be hard to keep? Not really.

New owners are more likely to make mistakes yes, but an experienced keeper with no research will fare much poorer than a novice who has researched throughly.
Rickeezee
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to agree, funny as Peter Parrot and I had the same conversation the other day. I think the difference between the novice and more experienced keeper, is that at novice level one tends to stick to things 123 abc style, when more experienced some of the abc , 123 stuff becomes more instinctual, and allows for some variation and experimentation to be introduced.

Like most things information is the key. Incorrect information for a so called begginers species dead herp, correct information for a so called harder to keep speices, thriving herp. Very Happy

Rickeezee
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fire bellied toads, thats a good starters herp. I happen to know someone selling them at a very good price Wink

Cognitive continuum thats what it's all about Wink

Dan
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd agree with both of you in regards to experienced and novice keepers making mistakes.

The initial question still remains unanswered though, unless we are saying there is no starter herp.

Out of curiosity is there anyone that would disagree with the above posts?

The future is bright, the future is a net like pattern.................

I'm NOT an expert, so if you don't want to know my opinion don't ask!!
Peter Parrot
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the majority of what`s being said here. I saw the thread a while back but refrained from replying as I thought that I should bite my tongue a bit.

I shall try now. I think that there is no such "starter herp", but rather that there is an ideal type of "starter herp keeper".

Unfortunately, this green and pleasant land on the whole, I am afraid, is a nation of unenterprising individuals who are not capable of using their entire brain, but would rather be brainwashed by the great British hypnotist/religion THE TELLY.

If people would only do the research neccessary before making a purchase, (which lets face it is non too difficult nowadays with the net, it`s not even neccessary to get off one`s backside) and LISTEN to the advice that they seek when it is given to them, then in my opinion, yes, a green tree python could be kept successfully by a first timer.

Our very own Rick is a prime example. He has gone from keeping just a few bits and pieces to breeding Chameleons by researching, asking sensible and good questions AND using his own initutive, to not cutting corners and putting the animals enviromental needs first. It can be done, but unfortunately, in "Little Britain", not often. So a corn snake or leopard gecko could easily be killed (and no doubt has been) by a first timer also.
Visit our website - Gwelwch ein Gwefan
www.btcvcymru.org
Llinell Gymorth / Helpline: 08702 40 48 41

Last edited by Peter Parrot on Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's a good post Peter, I tend to agree with all of that and using Rick was a good example Wink .

People often suggest a bearded dragon as a good starter lizard but in reality they are no harder to keep than kimberly rock monitors or ackies!

I think you could probably list quite a few species that are more 'forgiving' to beginners mistakes, and obviously those reptiles with larger distributions will have a greater tolerance of temps etc So they would also be listed.

As most people have said there are very few reptiles that are actually difficult to keep if the basic principles are applied. Breeding and hatching eggs though is a different ball game Wink

I think the first thing any one new to reptiles should do is to actually list the things they like and want from keeping a reptile, decide on a budget and space/time constraints. Once these simple questions are answered people can actually give a sensible answer rather than just listing the usual 'suspects' that may or may not match what the person actually wants (a beginner wouldn't know if they matched or not unless they have done lots of research).

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
Peter Parrot
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes you are right Scott. A beginner would have no idea without doing the research.

Also, the confidence to think for themselves rather than just quoting books , black and white, if you get my meaning. Time is far better spent observing the actual animals themselves in my opinion too. How can a person know when something is not as it should be with their animals unless they know what normality is? To find out what normality is, observe the animals.

I am drifting, but yes, I think research by the prospective keeper is the key element in any "starter" scenario.
Visit our website - Gwelwch ein Gwefan
www.btcvcymru.org
Llinell Gymorth / Helpline: 08702 40 48 41
Jan O
Key Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OOOh I do so agree with the last post. I wanted a beardie so I did my homework, I went on web sites, read books, talked to breeders and keepers. I did my research for a solid 8 months. I told someone on another forum all this and they actually laughed and told me a Beardie was a beginners/starter lizard! So all my reading etc wasnt deemed necesssary, This initially made me feel like a right fool BUT I knew that once that animal was in my care it would have a keeper who could do her VERY BEST for it. Do not all our animals deserve that?
I did the same with my Yemens another "starters" reptile,I studied their husbandry requirements for over a year, at the same time learning as much as I could about Panthers.This course of action doesnt make me an obssessive, it just means I want to get everything right from the start.I have taken on animals that were bought on impulse or a whim and the person who bought it either finds their too hard to cope with or they aren't as friendly as theyd like or they just got bored with it and wanted something new.
If you arent going to be dedicated to that animals welfare and well being then frankly you shouldnt have it. If you are prepared to make an effort, and put yourself out a bit I think you should be able to keep most things.
Love Jan
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing is if you check all the forums that have a 'what beginners lizard/snake shall I get' type post 99% of the replies don't even ask what the person wants from their reptile (or what time, space, money) so how on earth can they start 'promoting' a species to them? Confused

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: