Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Multimammates?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Feeder Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:41 am    Post subject: Multimammates? Reply with quote

Anyone on here breeding these?

I bought a large group in Holland last weekend and was wondering what people have found to be the best method for keeping them? i.e. 1.1's or small groups, 2 males and a large number of females? Also, seperating the pregnant females or just keeping the groups as one?

Thanks

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
cornfan
Key Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I keep 'em, Scott. I keep mine in groups of 1:3 or 1:2......... wonderful little creatures and really sweet natured too. Mine will come up to me for titbits and enjoy a bit of a scratch. Gorgeous little babies too.

Reptile Lover
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Tanya, do you have any problems with males killing young or fighting each other?

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
Mwoxy
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Scott, Tanya,

I have several groups of these. I am keeping them from 1.1 to 1.4. Have had no problems with male aggression and have not been separating out females.

I have found that I can 'overlay' females without detriment to the new litter, when there are only one or two females. Overlaying in the larger groups obviously creates a much larger milk demand/competition and, due to the numbers of young, a problem for the new pinks to find "the source".

Am currently building a couple of racks to increase my multi'm' colony.

Cheers

Mark
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Mark, I have a few of your males from James, his are starting to produce quite well.

How's my strain doing? (from Dave A)

Has the heat affected production for you?

cornfan
Key Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott, I actually find the easier on that score than fancies. They're a lot more sociable and the males actually make fantastic dad's. When I initially only had the one pair I noticed him sitting with the babes, keeping them warm whilst mum was feeding. whether that was to keep him warm as well or a strong paternal instinct I do not know but it was lovely nonetheless.

Reptile Lover
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you sound rather attached to your 'feeder stock'!!!

OK, I confess I'm building up a stock of cute rats that I just can't terminate as well Embarassed Laughing (trouble is they are producing even nicer babies...gonna have to find a pet shop to take them Laughing )

Mwoxy
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott W wrote:
Cheers Mark, I have a few of your males from James, his are starting to produce quite well.

How's my strain doing? (from Dave A)

Has the heat affected production for you?

Have to admit my focus has been mainly on the multi's. The mice have been ticking along, been using them mainly for pinks. They have stopped producing during this heat, whereas the multi's have continued. I also noticed the multi's carried on producing during the Winter when the temperature dropped, the mice stopped then as well. (my sample size was only one pair of multi's at the time, so may be a fluke pair).

Once my 1st rack is up and running, I will be expanding both the mice and multi's.

Cheers

Mark
varanus
Key Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

got 1.6 coming tommorow and some of the female ready to drop any tricks to keeping them over normal mice ?
lanee
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

First Post Here, So 'HELLO EVERYONE' Very Happy

I have been thinking about breeding my own mice for a while and eventually got around to getting cages etc. The only thing I need now is the mice. I would like to start with the multi's but can't seem to get hold of any locally. I did respond to an ad on the classifieds here, but they haven't got back to me, so thought I'd ask here. Hope you don't mind me coming in on your post Scott Wink

Anyway could travel if I needed too, but does anyone here know of any for sale at the moment.

Thanks Alot
Amanda

I'm only after a male and possibly three or two females to start with.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Feeder Forum All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: