Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Giant Locust House

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Vivarium Design
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rickeezee
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:44 am    Post subject: Giant Locust House Reply with quote

I was thinking about making a giant locust house. Then I could keep all my breeding locust colonies in the one place. Would save having to tend to lots of smaller locust houses.

perhaps convert an old wardrobe and put large heat mats on the sides, mesh front with access for cleaning and feeding and a covered 250 watt bulb for more heat and a basking light.

Can anyone think of any potential problems or ways to improve this potential set up?

Any views / advice welcome please.

kalel
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wont there be a problem with cleaning them?i mean...it doest sound very practical...i may be wrong about this...but i can see you opening the door for cleaning and..i see a lot of locust gettin out...that would be a big concentration of locust in one place...so what about the smell?It would be great because you wouldn't have to clean a million containers but i don't know how practical it would be...but any way ...good luck with it Very Happy
Rickeezee
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kalel wrote:
wont there be a problem with cleaning them?i mean...it doest sound very practical...i may be wrong about this...but i can see you opening the door for cleaning and..i see a lot of locust gettin out...that would be a big concentration of locust in one place...so what about the smell?It would be great because you wouldn't have to clean a million containers but i don't know how practical it would be...but any way ...good luck with it Very Happy

yes I agree and that has been on my mind. The smell wont bother me as it will be in the garage or shed.

Perhaps a large sliding tray at base for cleaning out. One large door for major cleaning. One smaller door at base for feeding and egg tubs. Hopefully they will prefer the upper reaches of their house and not try to get out of the base door? There must be a way to make it work in a practical and efficient manner.

cass
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was gonna suggest something like a sliding tray like the ones on toasters to get crumbs out oh well good look
Rickeezee
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cass wrote:
i was gonna suggest something like a sliding tray like the ones on toasters to get crumbs out oh well good look

Yeah I was thinking of one o them plastic garden pot plant trays, I use them in my chameleon vivs on the bottom. They work a treat, look good and cheap as chips.

Mememe
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sent a pm.
Wink

No man is an Island. Except the Isle of Man.
Dan
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could use a big tray on the bottom, if i were you though i'd look at some sort of mesh just above it aswell, stop any rogue locust doing a runner while your cleaning.

The future is bright, the future is a net like pattern.................

I'm NOT an expert, so if you don't want to know my opinion don't ask!!
Rickeezee
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan wrote:
You could use a big tray on the bottom, if i were you though i'd look at some sort of mesh just above it aswell, stop any rogue locust doing a runner while your cleaning.

I was thinking of using a large garden centre plant pot tray the ones with an inch lip, constructing meshed doors, baton and mesh. One large top door, and one shorter door just above the tray for feeding etc. The lower door would finish flush with the top of the plant tray lip. So tray can be slid out, covering the tray with mesh is a good idea and would be simple to do. Just screw a knob onto the front of the tray to pull it out.

I still think it's the way to go, easier to heat one big unit, will ultimately save space housing them altogether. In terms of cleaning and feeding etc easier to tend to just one locust house.

Interestingly enough I have tried larger housing for the crickets, but this did not work out so well. The crickets seem to prefer smaller colonies. The breeding was less prolific in larger groups. Not sure why this was but there ya go.

Locusts though like to hang around in large gangs, swarm mentality etc.

KJ Exotics
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried this rick any pics Very Happy
Nuneaton warwickshire
Rickeezee
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KJ Exotics wrote:
Have you tried this rick any pics Very Happy

No still at idea stage as not had time yet to get on with it, another great plan and not enough time! Rolling Eyes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Vivarium Design All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: