Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

starter snake
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Corn, Kings, Rat & Milk snakes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Peter Parrot
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree that there has to be an interest in a species, it must catch your eye or have some behaviour which intrigues you. Keeping a species just because it is reccomended or popular, or purely as an "investment" (I hate that term) is never going to be as fulfilling as keeping one that originally ignited an interest.

At the same time though, Lee`s request was a sensible one and I admire him for his honesty in doing so. That`s partly what the forum is for. Good luck with finding something that you really enjoy Lee, but I would definately broaden your search A LOT further than corns or royals (yawn). Laughing
Visit our website - Gwelwch ein Gwefan
www.btcvcymru.org
Llinell Gymorth / Helpline: 08702 40 48 41
Dan
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter Parrot wrote:
Good luck with finding something that you really enjoy Lee, but I would definately broaden your search A LOT further than corns or royals (yawn). Laughing

This is something i have been talking about lately with a friend. It never fails to suprise me that with such a diverse collection of animals in the reptile "family" all these new folks are so blind to what is out there.

It seems to me the limit of the dreams of these folk is the latest ill looking royal or the latest corn that is the homo form of every other trait ever created. It is such a sad state of affairs it really is.

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with royals and corns per say but in the grand scale of things they are drab looking, boring to watch and highly unlikely to keep anyones interest completely for a decent length of time.

It has only been the last 12-18 months that i myself have really started to look outside the norm yet every time i sit and go on a surfing marathon to find something else i ALLWAYS come across reptiles that have me sat in awe and disbelief that these things aren't available through shops. A prime example is the philipino red tailed ratsnake, a truly stunning animal in just about everyway but i challenge anyone to find these in a shop anywhere.

We live in a shortsighted and blinkered world where WC is bad and effort is taboo. I say expand your horizons and take a chance - don't go outside the box, rip it apart!! whats the worst that can happen??

The future is bright, the future is a net like pattern.................

I'm NOT an expert, so if you don't want to know my opinion don't ask!!
Peter Parrot
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HERE HERE!
Visit our website - Gwelwch ein Gwefan
www.btcvcymru.org
Llinell Gymorth / Helpline: 08702 40 48 41
The Docta
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost 3000 snake species on this planet and the most common answers?
Royal or corn.

The result is, most of the reptile/snake forums contain threads dealing with corns & royals. No variety at all.

You're right on the mark, Dan!
Rickeezee
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of my herps are WC, as that was the only way I could obtain them. The reason I got them, they were unusual and I liked them. I do tend to like the unusual, and some them are challenging to breed, yet another area that interests me greatly. Some the WC herps were relatively expensive, some extremely cheap.

When I asked as to why the cheaper herps were not commonly available CB I was told because they are so cheap to buy in no one bothers breeding them! Well I shall try breeding them anyway, simply because I want to and it interests me. To give an example of this; the sandfish Scincus Scincus, when I posted about them there was a reasonably high interest shown. They are unusual, easy to keep in my view, and cheap as chips. You can pick them up for about £7-15 quid each. Ok if they do breed I may only get a couple of quid for them if I sell them, so what!

I will still have learnt something, and still witnessed first hand the complete life cycle of the sandfish! For me that is what it is all about. Plus it's an enjoyable challenge.

I suppose my point is; it should be fun, that we should try to explore new areas and ways of keeping herps and ultimately broaden the horizons of our knowledge and experiences within the herp field, which to my mind can entail trying the unusual.

At the end of the day it's about whatever tickles yer pickle, and having the confidence to try new things. We will fail at times, but isn't that how we learn and progress?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Corn, Kings, Rat & Milk snakes All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: