Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

starter snake
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Corn, Kings, Rat & Milk snakes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beardie barmy
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 7:11 pm    Post subject: starter snake Reply with quote

hi there I'm looking into getting a snake and have never owned one before so what would your suggestions be for a starter snake thanks lee
Mememe
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Royal,
Corn,
Hognose..
Are the main ones, probably missed one Laughing

I personally think Royals are the best, because they're chunky, and I have never been bitten by one - have been by a corn. (plus I think they're the 'cutest' snake Very Happy )

Can't comment on Hognoses.

See which take your fancy..

No man is an Island. Except the Isle of Man.
stormiemanda
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not a ratsnake lol i got 1 for my first snake and even thou i love him dearly i do regret it
although before you buy any snake please do research about them
manda xx
beardie barmy
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what would i be looking at paying for a royal ?
Stuart
Forum Clown
Forum Clown

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anywhere from £25 - £80 for a youngster..generally the lower end of that price range will mean you would probably get a captive farmed one and the higher prices are usually commanded for CB babies.Personally I wouldn't recommend a CF if you haven't kept them before I would source a CB one that is established and feeding well on defrost. Cool
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dint worry Manda i don't plan on getting a snake i Carnot keep that's why I'm here Wink
The Docta
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started with an Elaphe dione, and it was a good decision.
I wanted an easy to care, diurnal, active snake, and all my wishes were fulfilled.

Also I'm glad I started with an adult snake. It just 'worked'!
With that experience I was more confident to deal with juveniles.

Which instrument is the most recommended for kids?
Yes, it's a recorder.
No doubt, Panterophis guttattus definetely has become is the recorder among the snakes Smile .

Jürgen
stormiemanda
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol mine was brought for me for a surprice hmmm people really should get to no me a bit beter!!!
manda xx
Dan
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm gonna go against the grain here (i do this every now and again) Rolling Eyes

Ok, whats best for you is NOT going to be whats best for everyone.

Sit down and write a list of all the things YOU want to gain from your snake (ie a trait list). Once you have a list you can eliminate all the snakes that don't fit into your criteria.
The animals remaining are your shortlist.
Go back to your trait list and pick out the things that matter to you the most. Take this new trait list to your shortlist and get rid of some more - you are likely to come across some that you just don't want to eliminate, so don't, leave them on there. This new list is your final list.

Take your final list and find a photo for each one then pick the prettiest.

At this stage you will know not only what your looking for but what you are likely to want in the future (no one can have just one herp). You will also have subconciously been reading up on each and every species in more and more detail as you fine tuned your list (clever eh!!)

Now all you do is find some people (more the better) with the snake you have chosen and talk to them (not email/forums) so you can get a good overall feel for them.

Who cares if your first snake turns out to be an anaconda, green tree python or a corn snake. If people really give a rats ass they'll help you and not criticise or tell you that you're wrong or you should have done this or that.

As long as you spend the time learning about what your doing then it really doesn't matter. There are very few "hard to keep" snakes if you have known nothing else.

My advice, in a nutshell, ignore everyone else - don't be a sheep - and get what YOU want and feel is right.

The future is bright, the future is a net like pattern.................

I'm NOT an expert, so if you don't want to know my opinion don't ask!!
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan wrote:
I'm gonna go against the grain here (i do this every now and again) Rolling Eyes

Ok, whats best for you is NOT going to be whats best for everyone.

Sit down and write a list of all the things YOU want to gain from your snake (ie a trait list). Once you have a list you can eliminate all the snakes that don't fit into your criteria.
The animals remaining are your shortlist.
Go back to your trait list and pick out the things that matter to you the most. Take this new trait list to your shortlist and get rid of some more - you are likely to come across some that you just don't want to eliminate, so don't, leave them on there. This new list is your final list.

Take your final list and find a photo for each one then pick the prettiest.

At this stage you will know not only what your looking for but what you are likely to want in the future (no one can have just one herp). You will also have subconciously been reading up on each and every species in more and more detail as you fine tuned your list (clever eh!!)

Now all you do is find some people (more the better) with the snake you have chosen and talk to them (not email/forums) so you can get a good overall feel for them.

Who cares if your first snake turns out to be an anaconda, green tree python or a corn snake. If people really give a rats ass they'll help you and not criticise or tell you that you're wrong or you should have done this or that.

As long as you spend the time learning about what your doing then it really doesn't matter. There are very few "hard to keep" snakes if you have known nothing else.

My advice, in a nutshell, ignore everyone else - don't be a sheep - and get what YOU want and feel is right.

I'd kinda go a long with Dan's post. I can honestly say I have not yet found one snake harder than any of the others I have kept....I have made mistakes with some and not others but overall they have all been as easy/difficult as each other. It's all about choosing a healthy animal and setting it up in the correct manner.

I tend to try and get younger animals and grow them on, it gives you more time to learn and observe them.

Also, go for a CB for any of the Colubrids (kings, rats, milks etc) or Established CB /CF royal (established means feeding regularly on DEFROSTED mice - only buy from somewhere you trust 100%)

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Corn, Kings, Rat & Milk snakes All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: