Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Handling?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Snakes - General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stuart
Forum Clown
Forum Clown

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 2:12 pm    Post subject: Handling? Reply with quote

Just curious about how often you all handle your snakes? Having read through a thread in the monitor section with regards to peoples opinions on handling large monitors and wether you should at all I was curious if peoples opinions were the same with regard to large snakes?..
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my boring answer,

"As often as necessary, as little as possible."

Saludos

Jürgen
mark
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i handle mine throughout the day depends how much ive drank Laughing Laughing

on a serious note now depends realy i handle some more than others my male royal i handle him most days as nothing seems to phase him and hes eating like a train my female on the other hand i say once a week i try not to handle her as much as shes very secretive and dosent take much yo put her off food i find shes alot better this way and as for my burm that will be a daily thing as when shes 18+ foot i want her to know im not a threat lol Laughing so to some it up imo it depends on the snake and its personality(JUST LIKE TO ADD FROM MY OWN EXPIERENCE IM NOT AN EXPERT)
mark
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

22 veiws and only 2 replies Confused
Dan
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark wrote:
i handle mine throughout the day depends how much ive drank Laughing Laughing

on a serious note now depends realy i handle some more than others my male royal i handle him most days as nothing seems to phase him and hes eating like a train my female on the other hand i say once a week i try not to handle her as much as shes very secretive and dosent take much yo put her off food i find shes alot better this way and as for my burm that will be a daily thing as when shes 18+ foot i want her to know im not a threat lol Laughing so to some it up imo it depends on the snake and its personality(JUST LIKE TO ADD FROM MY OWN EXPIERENCE IM NOT AN EXPERT)

At that size you need to make sure you are aware she finds you no more a threat than a rabbit, she may however confuse you as food - thats what you want to be wary of Wink

I have no working experience of either anacondas and next to none when it comes to the rock python species. I have limited experience of scrubs (own a baby and know few keepers with who i have had the ability to work with adults) so when it comes to those 3 of the "big 5" the following may or may not be applicable across the board.

With burms i found that lots of handling when small (hatchling -> 4ft) would result in a tame, stereotypically lazy animal. As hatchlings they are as annoying to work with as any snake i have had the missfortune to keep. It may be i had a few real crappy ones, i don't know - but to say they are hard work is in my experience an understatement.
Then again i can't see the point of working so hard with them only to have a lazy lump that doesn't do anything.
I found the burms i didn't spend as much time with were far more active (granted alot of that was a desire to get away from me or fight me) and more enjoyable, on the whole.
Worth noting i've only had CB burms.

With retics i have found them to be so different from CB to WC i would have to say they should be treated as 2 different animals. The WC require a lot of work to trust you. I have spent hours just sat next to vivs, with and without the doors open in an attempt to gain trust. Everything has to be done on their terms, handling to soon only serves to force the animal into making a choice about you - more often than not that animal makes the decision it doesn' trust you (down to the actual method of handling) so any work you have already put in will be ruined and making your future work much harder. The more they trust you and happier they feel the more active they become over longer periods of the day.
CB animals however just need a few good days of handling followed by regular interaction on top of general maintenance to keep them tame. Even if this interaction is just having the viv in a well used room this seems to be enough, they need to see you around in order to accept you aren't a threat.

I have plenty of stories about handler recognition that makes this topic very deep but it is impossible to go through this without other people with less (accepted) intelligent animals apparently doing the same.

I find it very interesting that the largest animals within each reptile group is listed as the most intelligent. It would seem that brain mass is directly relative to intelligence levels within the reptiles.
For example the following reptiles as classed as the most intelligent:

Boas
    Green anaconda

Pythons
    Retics
    rocks
    scrubs (also giant within the morelia)

Cobras
    King cobras

Pit vipers (not sure on this group, may be wrong)
    diamond back rattlers (can't remember if its eastern or western, the bigger of the two)

Sorry, i'm rambling off topic - i'll shut up now Sad

The future is bright, the future is a net like pattern.................

I'm NOT an expert, so if you don't want to know my opinion don't ask!!
stormiemanda
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i only have a texas rat snake but im terrified of him so i dont handle him but my dad gets him out once a month or there abouts i do try to handle him with my dads help but he sences my fear and goes all skaty on me!!!
manda xx
Stuart
Forum Clown
Forum Clown

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies so far..very interesting post Dan.. Cool I have had numerous burms ranging from babies to 10ft and tbh I wouldn't have trusted any of them.I used to handle the ones I could as much as possible in an attempt to keep them relatively calm..this didn't seem to work as they remained unpredictable.I also spent almost a year working with a red tail boa from a baby trying to calm it somewhat to the stage where it would tolerate some handling!!..This was also fruitless and the snake remained very very aggressive even with its next owner who continued trying to calm it unsuccessfully..I personally try and handle my snakes quite regularly..not daily but regular enough for them not to act fearfull when I approach.I think this is nescessary with some of the larger snakes etc..Interesting point you raised Dan about the keeper recognition..I hear alot of people mention this especially with retics..Whats your thoughts on it?
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think recognition is very real when it comes to retics and i have heard the same about the king cobras. Many retic keepers would agree it is very real with their own examples of it, like them i have my own. The actual method of distinction is some what of a mystery, i have a feeling it is a combination of senses but i'll never be able to prove it.
It is is part of a larger group of abilities that form the perception that they are amongst the most intelligent of reptiles, however the actual definition of intelligence leaves a lot to the individual keeper. Finding the common ground before defining intelligence is a must that is often forgotten.

The future is bright, the future is a net like pattern.................

I'm NOT an expert, so if you don't want to know my opinion don't ask!!
Stuart
Forum Clown
Forum Clown

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Cheers Dan that was going to be my next question..did you think the recognition was down to sight or smell...or combination of both..with this is mind if you cease to handle them for long periods does it affect the way the snake reacts towards you? Or is there still some sort of recognition there do you think?..
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i handle my snakes now and then ,the kids like to feel them ect but to be honest i like them in the vivs so nothing can go wrong !!

jezz wrote:
I dont understand SteveL's sarcasm dohhh
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Snakes - General All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: