Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone keeping goats?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Other Pets / Exotics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 10:17 am    Post subject: Anyone keeping goats? Reply with quote

I was thinking about getting small pygmy goats, thought they would help keep the grass down round my mouse cabin, anyone keeping them? How much work are they? what do they need in the way of shelter (summer / winter?) What foods do you offer? If I had a pair, would they be ok to leave to just 'get on with it'?

thanks to any goat herders in advance Wink Laughing

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
cass
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont knew if he has any but rick is fond of goats if i remember right him and pete were chattin about them ha ha

on a more serious point they make great security device for ur home as they like to ram ppl they dont like good luck scott
Fixx
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never had pygmy goats but used to keep to togenburg (sp) nanny goats to keep weeds down. Nice animals but required tethering to stop them wandering hither and thither. Not sure whether they are actually any good at 'grazing' as such, very wide diet your goat and next thing half you know the mouse cabin will have disappeared.

Rabbits make a lovely lawn (if you can stop the buggers from digging) and so do geese but they crap loads. They make remarkably better guard dogs than rabbits though Smile

Oh and goats like to climb as well, on each other if there are no other options, and sometimes when the occasion merits it, they will try and stand on you as well.

Last edited by Fixx on Mon May 29, 2006 11:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Rickeezee
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friends kept a goat it was not hard work and it was a normal goat.

But and this is a big butt (pardon the pun) be prepared not to have any garden left! They eat everything and if you have any plants say goodbye to them.

As pets they are great. They have real charecter and are a good laugh. You can teach them tricks and all sorts!

My friends one died of a stomach infection. It was a cool goat though used to sit on top of their car roof and sunbathe.

They are extremely boisterous! Worth taking out insurance for them in case of vet bills!

Quite cheap to buy to, not an expensive animal to keep either.

Oh last word of advice keep memememmememe away from them as he is partial to abusing goats!

Peter P thinks he is a ram for some odd reason, I am sure I do not know what he means by this?

Peter Parrot
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used to keep Saanens and Toggenburgs. Not really grazers, more like browsers.

I dont know about pygmies but I wouldn`t keep an entire billy of full size. They STINK!

Rick, more of an old goat then a ram apparently.
Visit our website - Gwelwch ein Gwefan
www.btcvcymru.org
Llinell Gymorth / Helpline: 08702 40 48 41
Rickeezee
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter Parrot wrote:
Used to keep Saanens and Toggenburgs. Not really grazers, more like browsers.

I dont know about pygmies but I wouldn`t keep an entire billy of full size. They STINK!

Rick, more of an old goat then a ram apparently.

He is only kidding! Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Other Pets / Exotics All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: