Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Snake Escaped
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Snakes - General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fazer600sy
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 1:58 pm    Post subject: Snake Escaped Reply with quote

I have been away for a couple of days and came home to find out the are 2 month old corn has escaped, it appears my lad had him out last night but when the wife checked the viv today(1200) and the door was slightly open.

I have just got back and have started my search, looking in every tiny place I can think of with in the front room, my fear is that are front room is open (no door to hallway etc), apart from a stair gate to stop dogs going into front room on an evening, I am hoping he hasnt got that far, to be honest he would probably be took out by the dogs if he had.

Its my lads snake and he will be devastated (at school so does not know), I even feel sick myself.

Sad
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

follow all the edges of the room, they tend to stick to an edge so if you follow them round checking all the hiding places on the way you may get lucky.

After a few days they quite often search out water, so a few humid hides placed along the skirting may do the job (dark box with a hole in the side, small and right next to the wall, place some damp moss inside) then check these every time you walk past.

Don't forget to check high places too, I had a baby corn drop off the top of my front door when I came home from work once, the other ended up next doors Embarassed Both were finally caught and were fine. Good luck with the hunt.

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
peaches
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not an easy task, finding the snake and telling your son!!

This is when you realise how much stuff you have in your house, if you don't find it before bed, you can always sprinkle flour around the room, edges, doorways etc and hoping the snake passes over it during the night, this can help narrow your search down.

Hope you find him soon Smile
letty_v82
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 7:12 pm    Post subject: good luck finding you snake Reply with quote

my brother let my snake out by accident a couple of weeks after i got him he was gone for two weeks i put food in his tank the first week and came back to find it gone! i did it again the next week and we managed to catch him eating it ! i have had him for 14 years now so hes fine . I'm sure your snake will come back but it might be worth putting food in your snakes tank to tempt him back
hi all im 24 and i have a 14 year old male cornsnake called Jovi , (Named after bon-jovi ) i live in devon and it would be fab to chat to otherpeople with snakes. Im pretty bubbly and opened minded so don't be scared i would love to chat.
fazer600sy
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have put the viv on the floor and I will put a pinkie in tonight and change it everyday.

have put floor down along edges and doorways.

hopefully it will turn up.

Sad
Stuart
Forum Clown
Forum Clown

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best of luck...Hope it turns up..we lost a milk snake that turned up a year later!! so don't lose hope..on the plus side the weather has warmed up so good chance you may spot him out and about in the evenings.
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good luck finding the snake ,i hope the outside door wasn't open Confused

jezz wrote:
I dont understand SteveL's sarcasm dohhh
unusual1
Key Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This always works for me, snakes love hiding on natural earth.Put down a 2 or 3 hides that the snake can go into( low level )with damp peat or earth, make it so that their is something else in the hide that they can go under, think of how most of use found slow worms, that sort of thing.
I have a bag of peat in my reptile room, most of it used up,about 3 inches left, their is a hole in the side of the bag about ground level.When ever I've have snakes escape, I always find them their. Laughing
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

unusual1 wrote:
This always works for me, snakes love hiding on natural earth.Put down a 2 or 3 hides that the snake can go into( low level )with damp peat or earth, make it so that their is something else in the hide that they can go under, think of how most of use found slow worms, that sort of thing.
I have a bag of peat in my reptile room, most of it used up,about 3 inches left, their is a hole in the side of the bag about ground level.When ever I've have snakes escape, I always find them their. Laughing

lol....sounds like a regular occurance Pete?

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
fazer600sy
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snake now found.

We had ripped the house apart, even removing the fabric from underneath the leather settee, taking the speakers apart and even removing the gas fire.

About 11pm the kids started complaining we hadn't fed them (to busy with the search), so the wife went to the small cupboard/larder in the kitchen which houses the chest freezer, the most furthest point in the house from the viv, also the coldest due to massive wall vents and I heard a scream ran in to find the snake jumping from the chest freezer to the floor (seeing the wife must of scared it).

It was the only area not checked as it is quite cold in there and being quite far away from the Viv, having to go through three rooms to get to and past the dogs, I am amazed but very relieved that he is back and so soon.

See starving the kids ain't so bad.

Thanks for all the replies.

Sy Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Snakes - General All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: