Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Egg laying box substrate

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dan76
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:56 am    Post subject: Egg laying box substrate Reply with quote

I need to setup a couple of humid tubs for my adult female snakes to lay their eggs in. At the moment I have a tub half filled with damp vermiculite which they seem to love burrowing in. The problem is, it's really messy and I'm also a bit worried that the stuff will stick them (as it seems to stick to my hand when I'm mixing it up!).
Can anyone suggest a better substrate for me to use and a place to buy from?
Any advice would be great.

Cheers,

Danny

(Oh, and the snakes are my carpets and leucistic texas rats in case that makes any difference! Very Happy )
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Danny,

I used to use vermiculite, it is a little messy and they can get it all round their faces but I never actually had any problems from it, just make sure there is always fresh clean water available for them.

You could try moss if you wanted. All good reptile shops should be able to supply you.

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
sebae
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

first of all, the fact that the vermiculite sticks to your hands is according to me quite normal Wink
Make sure you boiled the vermiculite out in boiling watter before u use it for your egg laying box... at least that's what I did because vermiculite is used by ('fudge!' i don't know the word in english) florists i guess and sometimes can contain stuff that doesn't really belong in there for incubating eggs...

Next answer, if u don't like vermiculite, you can allways use damp spaghnum moss which works very good as well for incubating eggs... another thing you can use is filter waddings (if i say this correct) you know the white stuff they use in aquariums for filtering the watter... this is also soft and also works for egglaying and incubating...

I even heard people who used a damp bathroomtowel in their egglayingbox...

Hope i helped you out a bit with this one Wink

Sebae
dan76
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had thought about using moss but as I already had a big bag of vermiculite I thought I'd try that first. Now that I know it won't harm them, I'll probably carry on using it. They do seem to love burrowing in it as well, so I'd hate to spoil their fun! Laughing

Thanks for the quick replies!! Very Happy
Morbid
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might also use Perlite.. Link to their site: http://www.perlite.net/

And by the way.. You do not need to boil Vermiculite, if you buy a bag at a garden-center..

Assumption is the Mother of all f***ups.
Jackie
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We use damp sphagum moss as a laying box substrate and vermiculite as an incubation medium. They can still burrow in the moss.

3:4 Eublepharis macularius
1:0 Gekko gecko
3:4:1 R. auriculatus
1:3 R. ciliatus
1:1 R. chahoua
1:1 R. leachianus henkeli
sebae
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morbid wrote:

And by the way.. You do not need to boil Vermiculite, if you buy a bag at a garden-center..

I always boiled it, to make sure it was quite clear of pesticides and that kind of stuff, and i especially boiled it when i got it from a petstore Wink but that's only my opinion...

Sebae
Morbid
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sebae wrote:
Morbid wrote:

I always boiled it, to make sure it was quite clear of pesticides and that kind of stuff, and i especially boiled it when i got it from a petstore Wink but that's only my opinion...

Sebae

I´m not saying that you are wrong. But for me, it´s unnecessary work. If you buy a bag that is sealed, nothing has had any contact with the Vermiculite. Cool

Assumption is the Mother of all f***ups.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: