Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

community set up?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Amphibians
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Liam
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:58 pm    Post subject: community set up? Reply with quote

I was wondering if it is possible to keep different species of frog together?
Obviously they would need the same requirements, but.......
If they can, could any of these live together:
Red eyed tree frog
Reinwardt's Flying Frogs
reed frogs
Mascarene Ridged Frog
peacock treefrog
etc...

Also what about an amphibian community set up, frogs, newts etc.

Thanks!
Peter Parrot
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Liam. With amphibians, if common sense prevails in can be done but best left to the experts (which I am not). Viruses especially fungal ones , can be spread with species mixing, but if from the same area , with the same temp and humidity requirements, plus if one species is not small enough to be eaten by the other, it can be done. The best example is Dart frogs, where IF the viv is big enough, terrestrial species can be mixed with aboreal species and the two seldom meet.

It`s best to get a firm grounding in keeping species on their own first however so that one can recognise problems when they occur.

I do know some dart frog keepers/breeders that mix seemingly sucessfully and others that refuse too.

My own opinion is that after gaining experience of keeping say two species of whatever animals successfully in a species only situation, a person feels confident enough to mix species, then they are in a better position to attempt it.

I would myself would avoid any possible hybridisation scenario also.
Good luck. Wink
Visit our website - Gwelwch ein Gwefan
www.btcvcymru.org
Llinell Gymorth / Helpline: 08702 40 48 41
Rickeezee
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The idea of mixed species set up's really does appeal to me. I do however tend to agree with Pete on this one. I acquired some darts recently, they had all been kept together and I got a job lot including the original set up. Never saw the darts for the first few days. Then the other day I re-housed them all individually as only have one of each species. Now they are so much happier, the Tinc is out all day long and has become really friendly. Before he just remained hidden.

I think as Pete said with the right mix and a lot of experience it could be done and this does appeal to me big time. But I think experience of separate speices first is the way to go, I would imagine in a varied frog Set up there would many diff factors to consider and multiple variables that would have counter affects ad-infinitum to the success of the project.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Amphibians All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: