Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone keep koi?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Other Pets / Exotics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jas
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 9:06 pm    Post subject: Anyone keep koi? Reply with quote

Was out cleaning the filters and thought i'd take some pics of our koi, they are about 3 to 4 years old now and the biggest(the yellow one) is around 20 inches, they are all from Ogata koi farm in Japan (10 in Total).
Last year the big yellow one spawned but dont think the males were big enough to fertilize them, but she has been digging around the roots alot lately so hopefully she may spawn again soon.
Anyone else keep Koi or a pond even?
Stuart
Forum Clown
Forum Clown

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool nice fish jas..would love a pond full of koi one day..
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

very nice fish Jas. you've seen my pond Very Happy , I need to replace all the filters and send someone in to unblock the bottom drain...still blocked from last year.

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
Jas
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes the dreaded blanket weed, ive got electronic weed killers, barley straw and it still grows like mad. If they ever find a use for blanket weed i'll be a millionaire!
Karl B
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i work for a aquatic shop part time. have you tried a product called "good bye blanket weed" by nishikoi or another good product is the "i tronic" its fitted in line like a uv

hope these suggestions help.
karl
Jas
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im not sure, ive tried several different products but not any of the chemical ones, mainly the ones with barley extract in them im also running two electronic blanket weed controllers. Every time i introduce a new "weed killer" it seems to work then after a month the weeds back with a vengance, so i kinda give up now and just rip it out with me hands.But my pond is in full sun for most of the day so i suppose im asking for it really.I do find though when all the iris i have planted in the pond come out the weed growth does slow a little, so i just put up with it now.
Jill_Ramma
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow.. nice koi,I'm a Koi keeper too,our lad made a skimmer for our pond it took the doc of the top and we never seem to have a problem after that..we were just using a Central heating pump to run it..sadly i notice the pump has broke over the winter months Sad so guess wot we have back Mad blanket weed...we have 18 koi in total and 2 in the q tank just to keep it running , we also have 2 show winners our Hi utsuri came first in the northeast koi show a few years back.and our beni kamonryu came first in the Nottingham's photo comp oops I've rambled enough Very Happy take care Jill
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone recommend any good filters for va large koi pond? It will be pump fed and gravity return.

thanks.

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
Jill_Ramma
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi we have two vortex's..one with jap matting in and the other with brushes
(as for pump fed and gravity return our lad deals with all that side of things..lol...i just get stuck cleaning to filters yuk
Jas
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jill, will be good to see your koi, can you post up some pics of them.
Dont think you can beat a large vortex and a bay full of japanese matting, but the bigger the filter the better really. oh and a good uvc for water clarity.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Other Pets / Exotics All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: