Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

set ups
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Chameleons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cass
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:04 pm    Post subject: set ups Reply with quote

hi all can u all post me pics of ur set ups so i can see how to have mine when i eventually get it soz if im bugging u all just want the best for he/she wen i get it thanks Wink
butch_licks
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this isn't the best sort of set up but this is mine so far until i get new one
Rickeezee
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my yem vivs 4ft high 3ft wide x2ft deep

digitaldav
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A more important question is (for me anyway) how much did your setup cost, roughly?

And as I want my (if I can afford to get any) chameleons to make sweet sweet love, how many should you house in one Viv?

I've read that they don't take well come the company of other Chameleons, unless they've been drinking, and have the old beer googles on...
Rickeezee
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

digitaldav wrote:
A more important question is (for me anyway) how much did your setup cost, roughly?

And as I want my (if I can afford to get any) chameleons to make sweet sweet love, how many should you house in one Viv?

I've read that they don't take well come the company of other Chameleons, unless they've been drinking, and have the old beer googles on...

My SET UP COST APPROX, £250 but could have been done cheaper. That includes viv, self customising with mesh etc. X2 complete basking spot set ups. X1 UV complete set up, real plants silk plants and plastic plants, jungle vines, real wood etc.

Very controversial subject housing them together, would stick with one in a viv unless mating them, only female and male together for a short period when mating, unless you are a 100% sure you can spot stress signs and have a real large viv for them.

Very Happy

Rickeezee
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only a suggestion, but I invested an awful lot of time researching the Yemen chameleon species before I bought some. I would urge anybody thinking of buying any chameleon to research first.

I bought quite a few excellent books, visited numerous websites, asked lots of questions on forums, some of them numpty questions but better to ask than get it wrong. I also spoke with quite a few experienced yem keepers first.

I researched also the viv requirements fully, set the viv up for a few days before getting the yems, to ensure temps were all correct etc. I used a temp viv to start off with as they were only babies when I got them. process repeated for next size viv up etc.

For me the planning and research was just as much fun as the ownership.

There is so much to learn before you begin, and you never stop even when you have the chams! Temps, behaviour, supplementation routines, gut loading feeder insects, stress signs, misting, water drippers, what type of uv, what type of heat source and so the list goes on. It is very mind boggling to start off with. But it does all start to click after a while and the pieces start to fit together and make sense but it took me a few months of learning first!

So good luck with it all, the effort put in now will pay of in my view in the long run! After all, we all want healthy and happy herps! Very Happy

digitaldav
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds very complicated, although I knew it would be. Currently I have no time to do any of it, I have so many projects on at the moment at work, and privately that i'm lucky if I get 1 night a week to sit down and do what I want to do.
Rickeezee
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

digitaldav wrote:
It sounds very complicated, although I knew it would be. Currently I have no time to do any of it, I have so many projects on at the moment at work, and privately that i'm lucky if I get 1 night a week to sit down and do what I want to do.

It's like any new thing to be learnt, seems a tad overwheling to begin with, but it all clikcs into place after a while, plus you've got plenty of people on the forum to answer any querries, so don't be put off! Belive me, If I can have a go anyone can. Very Happy

butch_licks
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

digitaldav:
listen to rick he knows what he's talking about I'm not a highly experienced cham owner but once i put my back down and stopped taking everything he said as an argument i realized that he's a good bloke and I'm now alot better off after his advice unfortunately my first cham was poorly and the day i took him back to the pet shop i got him from they swapped him for Celine and the same day he passed away but Celine is doing fine and it's all thanks to rick sure my Viv isn't up to top spec but it's alot better than what it was when i first started off (would you not say rick???) so please excuse me for rambling but he's a good guy and knows what he's talking about..... plus chams are really fascinating pets/friends they can be so cuddly their great and that's the truth this is my gorgeous baby girl Celine
digitaldav
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is she outside?

And don't get me wrong, I love learning new things, and researching how to set something like a Viv up correctly. It's just I literally have no time. 60+ hour working weeks.

I am in the middle of 2 government jobs for the company I work for, 1 professional website for my company, the companies intranet site, oh and some private websites for myself and friends.

I have no life.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Chameleons All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: