Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

chinese water dragons!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Lizards - General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fireman sam
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 11:54 pm    Post subject: chinese water dragons! Reply with quote

can anyone help Question i'm thinking of getting my mrs one but can't seem to find any breeders, can anyone give me any info on them i.e temprament, housing etc it would be much appreciated Smile Smile Smile Smile
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice lizards, although they tend not to settle in as well as beardeds. They struggle with the concept of glass so ideally you should make sure there is a visual barrier so they can see the glass (this can be just dirty glass or having a plinth that the glass sits on above eye level)

Don't really know of any one breeding these lizards as they can be farmed at source for such a cheap price, commercial breeders have not bothered with them yet. They have been bred and are quite prolific.

Captive farmed babies are fine and will grow into great lizards.

They do get fairly big, so ideally a 6ft by 2ft by 2ft viv would be needed as adults. UV power suns, a ceramic, and uv strip lights would be needed. bark chips as substrate, large water bowl (they love to bath but do use it as a toilet!!!, so make sure it's easy to clean out).

You can plant the viv out really nicely, spray them daily, diet full insect range and small mice as adults, plenty of vit powder while they are growing.

The main thing to watch out for is damage to their mouths caused by smashing into glass, this can be fatal if left untreated.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Lizards - General All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: