Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

more questions on keeping my royal..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Snakes - General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emma_fyfe
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:29 am    Post subject: more questions on keeping my royal.. Reply with quote

i am due to get my baby royal on saturday and would like to get her viv really nice for her. Can anyone suggest what i could put in there for her without stressing her out? She will be in a very small space for now (18"X12") as she is kept in a container a bit smaller than this at the moment.

What i'd like to know is:

1: what size water bowl should i give her? should it be big enough for her to get in it?

2: what are the best types of plants to use?

3: what is the best type of hide for her?

She is only 16" at the moment.

Also i would like to know how often i should expect her to shed and how often and how much should i be feeding her?

any other info would be appreciated!

Emma
Peter Parrot
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Emma, just a small ceramic dog or cat bowl will be fine. Only half fill it as when she gets in and coils tightly her body mass will displace the same amount of water. Plants, If you want to use some plastic ones or silk. She will probably wreck real ones and keep spilling the compost everywhere. Hides, anything clean and secure really. A fairly small hide is best. Snakes feel secure if their body touches both sides of the hide when they are coiled inside , nice and snug. If they feel secure, they are more likely to feed. Try her with food once a week at this age if you like. Rat pups and fuzzies are best if you can get her on them soon as, other wise some snakes stick on mice and won`t budge from them even in adult hood which can be a bit of a nuisance. Enjoy her and let`s see some pics.
Visit our website - Gwelwch ein Gwefan
www.btcvcymru.org
Llinell Gymorth / Helpline: 08702 40 48 41
Peter Parrot
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and shedding, as she is growing, pretty often. Maybe every 6 weeks to two months, something like that. You will see her eyes go milky, then normal again for a few days and then she will shed and look fantastic. Just bump up the humidity when she is shedding and don`t bother feeding her till after her cycle.
Visit our website - Gwelwch ein Gwefan
www.btcvcymru.org
Llinell Gymorth / Helpline: 08702 40 48 41
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Snakes - General All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: