Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

unscheduled egg laying

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Tortoises & Turtles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cooter
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:49 pm    Post subject: unscheduled egg laying Reply with quote

At my high school, we keep a 17 year old red eared slider in the class room for our senior oceanography class to learn more about the behevior and life of organisms. She is a happy little turtle, very well cared for, but over the winter break, and again the other morning she, to our surprise, layed eggs! She was kep in a pond, presumably with other turtles, over the summer, and may have had a chance to fertilize them there, but as I do not know anything about this behivior, I was wondering how can i tell if the eggs are fertile or not, and what should i do if they are? is it possible for turtles to lay eggs like chickens, unfertile? should we be worried? or should we be doing our best to make the little eggs at home if it happens again?
Peter Parrot
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Female turtles can and do lay infertile eggs , even without contact with a male. Hold a bright light behind the egg (don`t turn it at all, it needs to stay in the position it was laid) and if you see veins running through the egg it`s fertile. A blank egg means just that, blank.
Visit our website - Gwelwch ein Gwefan
www.btcvcymru.org
Llinell Gymorth / Helpline: 08702 40 48 41
Cooter
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, so our turtle is kept in a aquarium with a few large rocks as her way to get out of the water and up towards her light. The times that she has laid eggs, due to te lack of dirt, she has laid them in the water, and proceeded to eat as many as she could. Is this because her favorite food is grapes? or should we let her reabsorb the nutrients after the strains of laying eggs? and will the eggs be ok if the flot in the wter untill we are able to take them out and get them warm, or is it already too late?
thanks
Peter Parrot
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No sorry. Might as well scramble them if they are bobbing about in the water.

She needs ideally a warm and sandy area ON DRY LAND to lay her eggs.
Visit our website - Gwelwch ein Gwefan
www.btcvcymru.org
Llinell Gymorth / Helpline: 08702 40 48 41
Cooter
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, so in the future, are there any teltale signs that she will aly more eggs? or, after alying one batch of eight and another of two, can we assume that she is done for the year?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Tortoises & Turtles All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: