Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FBT Breeding Questions Please.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Amphibians
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rickeezee
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:38 pm    Post subject: FBT Breeding Questions Please. Reply with quote

Has anyone bred their FBT's?

If so how have you done this please?

I would be very interested to know if anyone has managed to get their FBT's to bred without any induced cycling of seasons.

Thanks

Rick

mark_w
Key Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've bred Bombina orientalis before. I did this by reducing daylength and temps over the winter down to a minimum (cool room temp), leaving them at this for a few weeks and then gradually reversing. Once back up to full daylength, I would fill a small indoor watering can (with a sprinkler/rose) with aged warmed water, and let it rain lol. Do this in the early evenings. You could try this on its own, or induce a short winter now before trying it?

They are noisy little b******ds once they get going, but in the nicest way - I really like their call. TBH I found it really easy to get them calling, mating and spawning. My problem was 90% + tadpole mortality, and I still had high losses with the froglets. I would be lucky to get one out of a hundred eggs. Would recommend breeding your own Drosophila. I used garden-collected aphids - but hard to keep this up. I can't remember any real details - last time I did this was about ten years ago...

I have been thinking of trying some Bombina maxima though lol...

Cheers,
Mark.
Rickeezee
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mark, that is helpful. Any idea why the high incident rat of mortality? Mine bark like mad at the mo! The males will amplex everything in sight, glad I'm not a toad! At what age do they reach sexual maturity and are able to bred?

cheers Rick

Peter Parrot
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine bred when I had some a while back in a aquaterrarium type set up with a small water fall which trickled over a piece of cork bark with absolutely no cycleing or intended stimulation at all, several times.

Once the tads had four legs I moved them to simple plastic containers with nothing but wet paper towelling as substrate oyherwise I had mass drownings.

Yes, Mark is right. You will need several cultures of drosophilia in ADVANCE as they take a while to get going, but once they kick off you`ll have plenty. I found the larger type of spring tail cultures very useful too.

Like I said I wasn`t really trying to breed them, maybe it was the running water I don`t know but they would repeat their breeding sometimes three times in the "season". I suppose they must have had 12hrs light a day if I remember from a tube which I had for the ferns and Ivy which was growing in the set up. It was meant to be a display "naturalistic" set up and breeding just happened. Whether I was just lucky or not I don`t know but if you want to TRY and breed them then I would have thought that the standard "rain chamber" method of pump/spray bar/ time switch set up to rain from say, 6pm until 10pm everynight for a week or two, which works with a lot of types of frog/toad, (especially if you "dry" it up for a few weeks before hand) would be a good bet for success.

I remember I had white cloud mountain minnows in the water section as well ! I hitched most of the spawn out when I wanted to raise some and did it in small plastic tanks. The tadpoles I fed on a mixture of different fish flakes, and twice a week with a special colour enhancening fish flake which is commonly available at aquarists. Good luck and have fun!
Visit our website - Gwelwch ein Gwefan
www.btcvcymru.org
Llinell Gymorth / Helpline: 08702 40 48 41
Rickeezee
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Pete, certainly food for thought! Rick

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Amphibians All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: