Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stupid

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Feeder Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rickeezee
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:42 pm    Post subject: Stupid Reply with quote

Guess who did'nt put the lid back on the tub of hatching locusts! Guess who now has them hopping like made everywhere! Stupid, stupid stupid!

Out of interest; what egg hatching / laying medium does everyone prefer for crix and locusts?

I have used:

Silver sand - Ok but dries out quickly and can go crusty, and maybe hard for the eggs to hatch into as abbrasive material.

Now using vermiculite - very good at maintaining moisture and enabling some degree of airflow. Have found top layer can dry out quite quickly whilst the lower layers remain quite damp. Quite hard to get the mositure content right especially for locust eggs.

Not tried anything else yet.

Rick

Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use peat for my insect egg laying.

You need a bearded dragon to let loose and hoover up those locust Wink

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
Rickeezee
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I quite like bearded dragons, and have often been tempted, all in good time!

Not tried peat. Forgot to ask on previous post. I use fine grade vermiculite; have found though with the locust eggs that they sometimes clump together with the vermiculite and tend to dry out. Was wondering if using a coarse or medium grade vermiculite would help prevent this? Has anyone experienced this clumping, and or used differ'nt grades of vermiculite, if so with what results please.

Do you get the clumping with peat (see a doctor) Scott? Is the peat pesticide and plant food free or do you have to stand it out in the garden and give it a good hossing down?

To tight to waste the locusts are collecting them one by one, none shall
escape my evil eye! Bet some do!

Laughing Rick

Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol....have fun hunting them down!

as for peat, I use standard moss peat. Don't do anything other than wet it down a little more. Never tried using vermiculite as I have excellent results with the peat (a case of don't fix what ain't broke for me...lol)

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
Rickeezee
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any particular brand or make of moss peat, can it be bought in say places like BnQ?

I have now considered releasing my toads to eat the remaining few hard to get locusts! But then I will end up hunting toads! They won't appreiciate drying out either, oh well!

Rick

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Feeder Forum All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: